Necropsy done at OSU

I am not in any way a medical person but it said an obstruction in the uterus maybe egg bound? I had that happen to my favorite girl. Fine on the nest and an hour later gone. I am so sorry for your loss.šŸ˜­
Thank you for your input.
Fatty liver disease kills quick.

You need to take a good look at what you are feeding your flock.
I'd stop all treats immediately.
I feed my hens Dumor Organic feed/pellets and organic scratch. They get about 3/4 cup scratch daily for 10 chickens. They are young and not overweight at all. I give them organic spinach and dandelion greens for snack. They occasionally get meal worms but a small bag of them lasts well over a month. I donā€™t think itā€™s what they are eating.

Iā€™m sorry for your loss. This is fatty liver hemorrhagic syndrome. I had the exact same thing happen with one of mine. She was active in the morning and dead when I got home from work. Necropsy at UC Davis revealed the cause of death. The only hint whatsoever was that her comb had lightened slightly and she was puffing her cheeks a little when she breathed the day before. Iā€™ve been working for a year and a half to slim down my flock ever since.

Edited from some strange autocorrects.
How old was your hen? I really donā€™t think mine are over weight. They all look extremely healthy.

How old was your hen? I really donā€™t think mine are over weight. They all look extremely healthy.
So did mine. She was a five pound Australorp and died at age 2 1/2.

Edited to add: In your necropsy report, ā€œabundant adipose storesā€ refers to body fat. Sorry. I was shocked and horrified when I learned my flock carried too much fat.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom