Necropsy Question (Reproductive Issues?) **Graphic Pictures**

armorwolf

In the Brooder
May 3, 2023
Hello all,

Unfortunately one of my four year old chickens passed last night. After I'd noticed her slowing down a bit and getting some poop stuck to her tail feathers (not diarrhea, but definitely not normal for her) I took her into the vet. We tested for parasites alongside having her undergo a physical exam to feel for any potentially stuck eggs. No real answer was found and I declined to do x-rays/more invasive procedures - she was eating and pooping, though with a decreased appetite. The vet told me to keep an eye on her for a while to see if she would lay, as she hadn't picked up laying after molting. I've had her inside a few weeks, yet she wouldn't lay and started acting significantly more lethargic. This morning I found her deceased.

Curious to know why, I preformed a necropsy on her. I did notice a few of what seemed to be lash eggs/hard, pale clumps that seemed to point towards internal laying. As far as her reproductive system went, I saw a few ovaries though the oviducts themselves were difficult to identify. Forgot to get a picture of it, but there were some white-ish spots on her intestines where what I assume to be lash material was hanging out.

Here's what I assumed was lash material (they were pretty hard):

IMG_2557.jpg

(And here's the weirder fleshy one with the flesh pulled off)

IMG_2559.jpg

And then there is... this. Which was the only thing that looked even remotely like an oviduct or larger ovary? I'm really not quite sure what it is, but the black spots made me think it's some sort of cancer or abnormal growth.

IMG_2549.jpg
IMG_2551.jpg

IMG_2552.jpg

Any clues as to what the last thing is would be appreciated! I'm also quite curious if the black spots indicate perhaps a sort of cancer or other infection. Thanks!

Hello all,

Unfortunately one of my four year old chickens passed last night. After I'd noticed her slowing down a bit and getting some poop stuck to her tail feathers (not diarrhea, but definitely not normal for her) I took her into the vet. We tested for parasites alongside having her undergo a physical exam to feel for any potentially stuck eggs. No real answer was found and I declined to do x-rays/more invasive procedures - she was eating and pooping, though with a decreased appetite. The vet told me to keep an eye on her for a while to see if she would lay, as she hadn't picked up laying after molting. I've had her inside a few weeks, yet she wouldn't lay and started acting significantly more lethargic. This morning I found her deceased.

Curious to know why, I preformed a necropsy on her. I did notice a few of what seemed to be lash eggs/hard, pale clumps that seemed to point towards internal laying. As far as her reproductive system went, I saw a few ovaries though the oviducts themselves were difficult to identify. Forgot to get a picture of it, but there were some white-ish spots on her intestines where what I assume to be lash material was hanging out.

Here's what I assumed was lash material (they were pretty hard):

View attachment 3785537

(And here's the weirder fleshy one with the flesh pulled off)

View attachment 3785539

And then there is... this. Which was the only thing that looked even remotely like an oviduct or larger ovary? I'm really not quite sure what it is, but the black spots made me think it's some sort of cancer or abnormal growth.

View attachment 3785534View attachment 3785535
View attachment 3785536

Any clues as to what the last thing is would be appreciated! I'm also quite curious if the black spots indicate perhaps a sort of cancer or other infection. Thanks!
What does the inside of the larger masses look like? If you still have them, cut them open?

Ovarian Cancer, plus infection maybe a double whammy she was probably suffering from.

What does the inside of the larger masses look like? If you still have them, cut them open?

Ovarian Cancer, plus infection maybe a double whammy she was probably suffering from.

Same color through! Didn't take a picture, but it was pretty much that same yellow color and quite hard.

Do you have any pictures of the abdominal organs (ie-the liver, intestines etc?)

I don't unfortunately, but they didn't appear to have any visual abnormalities compared to pictures/videos I've checked out online of necropsies.

Here's a necropsy I did on a hen that I diagnosed with cancer, diagnosis was correct.

Interesting, thank you! I did not see any yellow fluid, and it was strange as I was looking for the ovaries but was struggling to find anything aside from a few yellow nodules which appeared to be ovaries and that one fleshy mass with the oddly shaped yellow lump attached. Potentially missed it though.

Same color through! Didn't take a picture, but it was pretty much that same yellow color and quite hard.

I don't unfortunately, but they didn't appear to have any visual abnormalities compared to pictures/videos I've checked out online of necropsies.

Interesting, thank you! I did not see any yellow fluid, and it was strange as I was looking for the ovaries but was struggling to find anything aside from a few yellow nodules which appeared to be ovaries and that one fleshy mass with the oddly shaped yellow lump attached. Potentially missed it though.
Okay.

You're welcome.
Each necropsy is different, knowing a chicken's body anatomy helps with locating specific organs.

Back
Top Bottom