Necropsy Results: Egg Yolk Peritonitis

Sarahh_Janeyy

Songster
Dec 12, 2019
North Florida
Posting this for a few reasons- one, I am grieving and would love support, and two, posting what we learned in case it helps someone else.

Back in April, our Buff Orpington and resident flock boss, Ginger, suddenly had a bigger than usual abdomen. My partner noticed it seemed swollen. Having seen so many posts here, I immediately thought "water belly" and we brought her to the emergency vet. To our surprise they told us they thought she had cancer. I was shocked, and I didn't think that's what it was- very much in disbelief. They didn't drain her, told us they could do "exploratory surgery" but there was a good chance she wouldn't survive. We went home and made a follow up appointment with her normal vet.

She was about 2 years old and had laid a few soft shelled eggs, then stopped laying. So my initial thought was egg yolk peritonitis. Going forward, this is what I assumed I was dealing with- not cancer. Her vet thought yes, it could be that given her history. But it could also be various age/reproductive/genetic/viral issues causing tumors/cancer. Her treatment going forward was giving her sulfatrim (for potential bacterial infection) and meloxicam (for inflammation). This combination worked for a while, I thought she was doing a lot better. At some point we ran out of sulfatrim and the vet said to see how she did without it. She took a downward turn almost immediately. We got her back on it a week later, but she had gone so downhill by this point she stopped eating on her own. Then came about 3 months of struggling to get her to eat. The only thing we could get her to eat was prey items. But then she stopped that, too. She got thin. Her poops were runny, and when they weren't, they were black. Dr said to stop the meloxicam because it may be causing her to have ulcers since she wasn't eating enough now (black poops- digested blood). We were tube feeding her emeraid omnivore care when she wasn't eating, 2-3 times a day. Then she stopped getting up to walk around, and had a harder time breathing. The vet said this is what would happen as her illness went on. Towards the end, she was on a bronchodilator.

On Saturday she passed, I heard her struggling, I went to pick her up. I could tell she was having trouble breathing. She let out 3 long sneezes, and then she passed in our arms. We had an appointment for Tuesday to euthanize her, I said she spared us from making the decision.

Today we got the necropsy results, and this is why we are having a hard time. The vet confirmed it was egg yolk peritonitis. Her left oviduct had ruptured, depositing egg yolks into her coelomic cavity. The vet had previously told us that he didn't want to drain fluid because it introduces more bacteria risk. My thought was, but there was already bacteria in her, that's why she was sick. But I guess he must have been working off the idea that maybe it wasn't peritonitis and it was cancer/tumors, and that could make it worse. No one around here spays chickens, which I had read previously was the treatment. The idea of an "exploratory surgery" by student surgeons at our emergency vet was more than scary- I had told them I thought it was peritonitis but they really thought it was cancer.

Anyway, we are now a bit fraught, beating ourselves up for not insisting on more aggressive treatment. I know hindsight is 20/20, but maybe I should have listened to my gut more. I'm with my chickens every day, I knew what Ginger's egg laying history was, I knew when she got sick. Me and my partner just feel so shitty. What if we had gone with exploratory surgery and we got our healthy bossy baby back. What if she could be out with her girls right now, having a dust bath and keeping everyone in line? And if she didn't make it though the surgery, maybe she wouldn't have suffered for 6 months with an illness that kept her inside (with our resident immunocompromised house chicken, Chipmunk- who was very much calmed by Ginger's presence), when she would have rather been outside with her girls.

I know we did our very best with the guidance we were given, but it's hard not to feel like we failed her. I know hindsight is 20/20 and it's easier to say we should have tried surgery now that she's passed... Anyone have any comforting words?

Attachments

• IMG_20211030_122328_202.jpg
    IMG_20211030_122328_202.jpg
    899.3 KB · Views: 53
  • 20200223_101831.jpg
    20200223_101831.jpg
    207.1 KB · Views: 13
So sorry that you lost your beloved hen, Ginger. She was a pretty hen. I don’t think having put her through surgery would have extended her life much. Egg yolk peritonitis and cancer are very common in most hens, as much as 1 out of 3 after age 2-3 years old. Many times chicken cannot tolerate anesthesia and may die during surgery. Then afterward, there can be a lot of complications, such as a slow crop, infection, and other issues. There was a thread about a hen recently who had surgery, and her owner spent weeks and weeks nursing her. Personally, I won’t have surgery done on a hen. Most times we do not know exactly what is wrong with them, until we see the organs during a necropsy. I usually do my own at home, and have seen a number of issues. Chickens are a lot of fun and make good pets, but unfortunately they cannhave a lot of health issues. I have been fortunate to have several live to 10 years, and many here post about older ones.

First of all, I'm so sorry for your loss. Often, our chickens are as much a part of our lives as any other pets, and our "happy place". I know mine are. It sounds like you went above and beyond in caring for her, and making the best choices possible. Do not blame yourself. You didn't fail her. Her little system just failed. It happens. We've lost two hens to EYP, and one to ovarian cancer. -symptoms so very similar in all. May peace and healing be yours.....

Yeah, I had read that one- and others. I thought I caught it pretty early but.. I see various "surgery can work" and "surgery will kill them" articles, it feels so hard to make the right decision. You just wonder if you could have had one of the lucky hens that would've made it and lived a long time. She was such a fighter and we definitely put in the time and effort to give her good care- our vet was surprised she lived this long. But yeah, we see the 10+ year old chickens and of course we want them all to live that long. They are our babies. :(

First of all, I'm so sorry for your loss. Often, our chickens are as much a part of our lives as any other pets, and our "happy place". I know mine are. It sounds like you went above and beyond in caring for her, and making the best choices possible. Do not blame yourself. You didn't fail her. Her little system just failed. It happens. We've lost two hens to EYP, and one to ovarian cancer. -symptoms so very similar in all. May peace and healing be yours.....
Thank you <3

Posting this for a few reasons- one, I am grieving and would love support, and two, posting what we learned in case it helps someone else.

Back in April, our Buff Orpington and resident flock boss, Ginger, suddenly had a bigger than usual abdomen. My partner noticed it seemed swollen. Having seen so many posts here, I immediately thought "water belly" and we brought her to the emergency vet. To our surprise they told us they thought she had cancer. I was shocked, and I didn't think that's what it was- very much in disbelief. They didn't drain her, told us they could do "exploratory surgery" but there was a good chance she wouldn't survive. We went home and made a follow up appointment with her normal vet.

She was about 2 years old and had laid a few soft shelled eggs, then stopped laying. So my initial thought was egg yolk peritonitis. Going forward, this is what I assumed I was dealing with- not cancer. Her vet thought yes, it could be that given her history. But it could also be various age/reproductive/genetic/viral issues causing tumors/cancer. Her treatment going forward was giving her sulfatrim (for potential bacterial infection) and meloxicam (for inflammation). This combination worked for a while, I thought she was doing a lot better. At some point we ran out of sulfatrim and the vet said to see how she did without it. She took a downward turn almost immediately. We got her back on it a week later, but she had gone so downhill by this point she stopped eating on her own. Then came about 3 months of struggling to get her to eat. The only thing we could get her to eat was prey items. But then she stopped that, too. She got thin. Her poops were runny, and when they weren't, they were black. Dr said to stop the meloxicam because it may be causing her to have ulcers since she wasn't eating enough now (black poops- digested blood). We were tube feeding her emeraid omnivore care when she wasn't eating, 2-3 times a day. Then she stopped getting up to walk around, and had a harder time breathing. The vet said this is what would happen as her illness went on. Towards the end, she was on a bronchodilator.

On Saturday she passed, I heard her struggling, I went to pick her up. I could tell she was having trouble breathing. She let out 3 long sneezes, and then she passed in our arms. We had an appointment for Tuesday to euthanize her, I said she spared us from making the decision.

Today we got the necropsy results, and this is why we are having a hard time. The vet confirmed it was egg yolk peritonitis. Her left oviduct had ruptured, depositing egg yolks into her coelomic cavity. The vet had previously told us that he didn't want to drain fluid because it introduces more bacteria risk. My thought was, but there was already bacteria in her, that's why she was sick. But I guess he must have been working off the idea that maybe it wasn't peritonitis and it was cancer/tumors, and that could make it worse. No one around here spays chickens, which I had read previously was the treatment. The idea of an "exploratory surgery" by student surgeons at our emergency vet was more than scary- I had told them I thought it was peritonitis but they really thought it was cancer.

Anyway, we are now a bit fraught, beating ourselves up for not insisting on more aggressive treatment. I know hindsight is 20/20, but maybe I should have listened to my gut more. I'm with my chickens every day, I knew what Ginger's egg laying history was, I knew when she got sick. Me and my partner just feel so shitty. What if we had gone with exploratory surgery and we got our healthy bossy baby back. What if she could be out with her girls right now, having a dust bath and keeping everyone in line? And if she didn't make it though the surgery, maybe she wouldn't have suffered for 6 months with an illness that kept her inside (with our resident immunocompromised house chicken, Chipmunk- who was very much calmed by Ginger's presence), when she would have rather been outside with her girls.

I know we did our very best with the guidance we were given, but it's hard not to feel like we failed her. I know hindsight is 20/20 and it's easier to say we should have tried surgery now that she's passed... Anyone have any comforting words?
Have been through this recently and my hen, Nettie also a buff Orpington passed. I had lost a hen several weeks earlier and sent her body to the state vets for necropsy as bird flu was found in the area. The results were egg yolk peritonitis, so when I took Nettie to my vet, I took that report and he gave me meds (antibiotics)for the EYP to see if that helped. Like Ginger, Nettie initially improved...and then became a hugely picky eater contrary to her former ways. She started losing weight...and regardless of what I fed she would not eat. I spent about an hour and a half or more each day on meal prep. She passed. It is heart breaking. The only thing I noticed prior to both hens initial decline was the laying of multiple fairy eggs. Found another fairy egg today and hence due to my fears of a repeat was researching and found your post. Interestingly my dog vet said that back this last March he read of an outbreak of this...which seems odd as you would think it would be a disease of one here and one there...but now I am questioning everything....even the height of my roosts (jumping down repeatedly jarring their bodies.) While the pet may pass on, we humans are plagued with second guessing forever.

Hi there!
I just came across your post. I have a hen dealing with EYP right now and I think she won't last much longer. I was wondering how much you spent at the vet to have her checked? That is the one thing I have been trying to deal with. I have a small flock, but I don't want to spend a fortune on them either, plus I don't think the vets out there really know anything about animals anymore (based on personal experience in my area). I have been trying to think and act as how a farmer would: might try a little intervention, but not waste too much time and money. My hen that is sick has had health issues from the beginning. I did not think she would make it that first day we got her, but I gave her some yogurt and she turned right around. Then, that next Spring she had respiratory issues. I got her some medicine and she was fine in a week. This November she prolapsed her vent and eventually recovered from that. Now this. So, I am trying to do all that I can, but since she is the one that always gets sick, I don't know how much and how long to keep trying. Plus, I have not taken any of my chickens to the vet because the nearest one to us is an hour away and I don't know how much they would charge me. Just curious on prices for the future. Not much else I can do for my sick hen now, plus I have my own egg issue (secondary infertility) that is costing me a small fortune right now.

I'm sorry for your loss. Thank you for posting your experience. I'm concerned about my favorite hen, Fricassee, who had been injured by a group of roosters. Laceration on her right side and a ripped comb/partial scalping. She seems to have healed from those injuries but went off laying, lost her status as top hen and has recently laid no shell eggs. She is still eating and drinking but has decreased her interaction with her flock.

Back
Top Bottom