Necropsy results

Chickenlover0810

Songster
Sep 5, 2019
Michigan
Our flock has been sick for a long time so we decided to send one of our hens in Michigan State University for a necropsy, here are the results
I don’t understand what all this means can y’all help me?
2923BD22-5FE3-4453-BE8D-54691D4DB2C7.jpeg
CE8B55E7-97E6-4109-BD4B-A7D4D0400335.jpeg

Basically it means that your chickens have a couple different types of parasites(the top portion being the fecal sample showing eggs) I would look up each type and treat the whole flock for these parasites since you are having problems in the whole flock. The bottom portion is saying that your bird was way too skinny(could be from the parasites) and that she also had a tumor on the kidney which is what they are further examining.

What is it exactly that you do not understand?

The result showed that this specific hen was very emaciated, suffered from an infestation with worms and coccidia and additionally from a kidney neoplasia, which means a growth was found on the kidney that should not have been there,

Last edited:
Capillaria = round worms

Coccidial oocyst= Coccidia(another type of parasite)

Heterakis= a third type of parasite however there were less of these in your bird.

Basically it means that your chickens have a couple different types of parasites(the top portion being the fecal sample showing eggs) I would look up each type and treat the whole flock for these parasites since you are having problems in the whole flock. The bottom portion is saying that your bird was way too skinny(could be from the parasites) and that she also had a tumor on the kidney which is what they are further examining.
what do you think the tumor was from? we acually just dewormed the hens a couple days ago and there hasnt been any symptoms from the other hens yet...... could that be because i just dewormed them?

You’ll have to wait on the tumor- the results say they are doing further testing. Right now there are too many possibilities to make a guess.

Back
Top Bottom