Necropsy

StarScreamers

Chirping
Jan 2, 2020
I sent 2 young ladies to the lab. I shed tears when I saw them showing signs of illness. But i had to know whats going on in the yard. I got the email results today. Some one help me understand the report.

Sadden about my two ladies. But hopeful this may save the rest of the flock. Hope this can help others in the future.

Attachments

• 20200527_161055.jpg
    20200527_161055.jpg
    607.7 KB · Views: 26
  • 20200527_161027.jpg
    20200527_161027.jpg
    621.5 KB · Views: 18
  • 20200527_161138.jpg
    20200527_161138.jpg
    391.9 KB · Views: 15
Others will be able to tell you more, but what I am gathering from the documents is that your birds showed signs of Marek's disease or leukosis - tumors - and one (or maybe both, not sure I'm reading correctly) had some sort of parasitic infestation - worms. How many other birds do you have, how old are they, did they all arrive at your place together from the same place?

I am so sorry!

I had a necropsy of one hen that was similarly dire but I have not seen any evidence of mareks since and that was 5 years ago or so.

For the existing flock, nutrition and vitamins and you need to keep on top of worming them.

Reproductive tumors have an increased risk at about two years old with mareks.

replacing over time with mareks vaccinated chicks is not expensive for purchased chicks. It is more expensive for chicks you hatch yourself but doable too.

Others will be able to tell you more, but what I am gathering from the documents is that your birds showed signs of Marek's disease or leukosis - tumors - and one (or maybe both, not sure I'm reading correctly) had some sort of parasitic infestation - worms. How many other birds do you have, how old are they, did they all arrive at your place together from the same place?
What it says is that mareks weakened them and one died from worms. The other seemed to have some reproductive tumors along with worms.

Parasitic infestation can be treated, and @casportpony is the go-to on this, for sure. Marek's and/or leukosis is unfortunately among your flock, and resistant birds will survive while vulnerable birds will succumb. If you get new birds they should be vaccinated for Marek's, or acquired from someone who has been breeding for resistance, probably at least 3 years.
Just saw Ron's response, thank you @ronott1 for responding so quickly. It sounds scary but it's something almost all of us have dealt with at one time or another if we haven't always had vaccinated birds.

Also, I wanted to mention, if Marek's is in your soil, there would have been no way for you to know that in advance of getting chickens. Vaccination is about 90% effective, breeding for resistance is heartbreaking and takes a few generations to produce mostly birds who are resistant, but both are good options for you, if you want to add birds to the flock.

Back
Top Bottom