Necrotic enteritis or coccidia? Vets could not diagnose and not seeing improvement with current trea

OHHHH... That's one handsome rooster !
love.gif

I would stop all of the treat foods, and add a little water to her normal feed to make it more appealing. Add some probiotics to her water or food. And see if her stools improve in the next week or so. Chickens with enteritis have foul smelling watery stools, sometimes with undigested feed in them. Your vet could do a gram stain on her droppings to look for enteritis. Many different antibiotics are used to treat it such as Tylan, amoxicillin, chlortetracycline, erythromycin and others. It depends a lot on the bacteria causing it, and clostridium perfringens is a common one. I would try the first steps though, and try to make sure of what she has before treating with antibiotics.

Thank you! I have added probiotics to her water and had considered giving her a little yogurt but was afraid the dairy would make the diarrhea worse. I saw a little research indicating that apple cider vinegar would help slow down the gut so I may try a little of that as well.

Sorry I think I may have posted twice.
[/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]
This is about an hour and a half to two hours with of droppings. Sometimes there is more solid material and blood but usually mostly blood tinged watery stool with very little solids. She is still spasming after. You can see by the ring how much liquid she's losing. I gave her a little ACV about 2 hours ago. I called the vet who agreed to mix up some bacitracin powder into a liquid I can give orally for 5 days. I will pick it up this afternoon. She is drinking well, standing, walking and perching but she is definitely fatigued and so thin. I took her outside for about 15 min and she caught some bugs and ate some greenery. She has always preferred to forage over eating her feed.

Back
Top Bottom