Necrotic enteritis or coccidia? Vets could not diagnose and not seeing improvement with current trea

Darn it I posted a whole big thing earlier with pics but for some reason it didn't make it on. I'll get on my phone so that I can upload pic again and give the full update. I hope I didn't accidentally post it under another thread! :hmm

Poop was still watery and bloody ( including a pic) but many have had more solids than in the last few days. She is alert and drinking but only wants to forage, not interested in feed very much. Last night I added a little waterfowl starter to her mix and she ate more of that but still barely anything. In case the pic wasn't very clear the stuff behind the poop piles is just spilled feed. She is not the neatest of diners. :) Vet would not sell me equipment unless I brought her in to have them show me how to tube her. After confirming no exam fee I brought her in at 4:30 pm. They were great and we ended up spending about an hour there while they talked to me and really tried to figure out if there was anything else we could do. We gave her 10 mls of a vit/electrolyte solution via tube at the vet. Vet also recommended Sucralfate which is an ulcer treatment/preventative . 2 times a day .Has to be on empty stomach and no feeding for an hour and a half after. She also recommended Pepto Bismal to help diarrhea ( 1 ml 2-3 times a day while having diarrhea) and wants me to add a folic acid supplement. I just gave the ulcer meds so will go wake her up in 1.5 hours and tube feed with the 3:1 ratio and give her Tylan. Amprolium stops on Sun morning. So in a nutshell-
Tylan 2x day
(Just through tomorrow) Amprolium in water and 1 drench per day.
Sucralfate for ulcer relief: prevention 2x day
*have not started this * Pepto Bismal up to 3 x day for diarrhea.
I will tube her 2-3 times a day. She had lost a couple of ounces.
What do you think?

Last edited:
I DID IT! Thanks to all of the wonderful encouragement and help from Kathy and Free Spirit and the demo given by my vet it was totally non traumatizing to either one of us! lol Thank you Kathy for encouraging me, this really was a weird fear for me and I am so glad I listened to you and didn't wait longer. At least now if we lose her I will know I truly tried everything I could. I am praying that with the extra hydration and calories plus the meds she will turn the corner! Btw I did one part formula to 4 parts water since it is later at night. Will decrease the water in the ratio some tomorrow morning and maybe up it to 30mls? I did almost 25 mls and her crop wasn't very big afterwards. Thank ya'll so much!

Last edited:
So Proud of you
clap.gif
. It seems scary at first but as you found out it's actually pretty easy.

I pray that with all the love and care your giving her that she'll pull through
fl.gif
. Please keep us updated on her progress.

Hi ladies. I wish I had a better update. Began the tube feeding Firday night. After initial 10 ml vit/electrolyte water I fed 25 cc 4:1 ratio Exact that night. A few poops more solid but still mostly bloody diarrhea. Vet wanted me to add Pepto Bismal and Sucralfate( for ulcers). Sucralfate has not seemed to make any difference. Did not add the Pepto until yesterday evening. I think she has had 3 doses . No difference and actually stools are worse. Not saying it is related to Pepto but not going to continue just in case. She had 3 tube feelings yesterday. About 25 cc of 3:1 ratio followed by 5 cc water or pedialyte. Last night I gave her a little kale and a teaspoon of no salt added canned veg-all . Consisted of maybe 1 green bean, a few peas, few tiny carrot pieces, and maybe a little potato cube . Also maybe a half teaspoon bluberries. She gets a few dried mealworms whenever I give meds and put into cage. She just refuses to eat feed and was so excited to get the veggies and fruit. Super small amounts. Today stools have been even more bloody and with the exception of this solid that I saw around 1 pm virtually no solid. I don't know what this is but guessing maybe a piece of green bean. Doesn't so much look like it and I don't remember any pieces that big so afraid may be something else from jntestine. She is much weaker today. Stopped Amprolium last night as it was day 5 with no change. Today I fed 25 cc 2:1 food and 5 cc pedialyte. She is still on Tylan. We had a sunny day today so i let her walk around outside and nibble then gave her a warm water bath. She loved it and totally relaxed and fell asleep. The feathers on her bottom get so gross with the drippy stool so I wash them each day but this was her first time to soak. I'd like to give her 3 tube feedings of 2:1 food today ( 25 cc plus 5 cc pedialyte ) but should I only do 2? She is not eating virtually anything else and not drinking as much as she was. If she is still this bad tomorrow it may be time. My heart is breaking.

My opinion (perhaps Kathy can correct me if she feels otherwise as I defer to her as the expert here) is to go ahead and increase her feeding if you feel you should. Since you are the one there with her you are going to be the best judge of whether she can take in more food. I was feeding my goose 4 times a day every 4 hours but my goose was not eating anything at all on her own for over two weeks.

I don't think you need to add the pedialyte (again, Kathy can correct me if I'm mistaken) as the bird formula has all the nutrition needed as well as probiotics. The pedialyte was for the initial "liquid" only feedings before starting the formula.

I really do understand how you are feeling at this moment. I (very recently) had that same feeling with my goose a couple weeks ago when we hit rock bottom and I thought I was going to lose her for sure.

You are not alone. We are here to listen and help any way we can. You are doing everything you can to help her and as long as she is still with you there is always hope.
hugs.gif

Thank you so much, this is the first time where I really feel I am losing her. I just have no idea what this is. Also whatever that is in her stool is concerning. Do you think it is ok to give her the soft canned veggies, a tiny bit of fruit, a few mealworms, unsweetened applesauce, and I also got some baby food- spinach kale and apple mix? I don't want to make her worse but I want her eating at least something.

I would think that if she is eating some on her own that is a good thing. Kale is excellent and full of vitamins and mealworms have protein. So if she eats those let her. If you give her fresh leafy greens make sure you chop it up really well if she is not getting any grit.

I wish I could help with the stool. I enlarged the picture and couldn't figure it out either. Therefore, I don't know if it's a good sign or bad sign.

Thank goodness she will take grit and a little oyster shell. Glad the mealworms are ok, she loves them so much but I didn't want to give her too much protein and make the diarrhea worse.

Back
Top Bottom