Ned help on choosing breed pls? Wood or Mandarin or ??

newchickens2009

Songster
12 Years
May 18, 2009
BAHAMAS
I had posted in the duck section and was told to ask over here. Here is what I am wanting to do is......

I live in The Bahamas on a small island (2 1/2 miles long and 1/2 wide) and our climate is comparable to South Fl. What I want to do is get a pair of ducks preferably Wood or Mandarin and breed them. Then I want to let a few pair loose every year for them to stick around on our island and breed themselves.
Will either one of these do that or will they just fly away never to return?
If not what is a good breed to do this with? I want a breed with "good looks" not Muscovy or anything like those. I know some like them but to me they are to ugly.
Let me also say that I know I need permits and such and am currently in the process of doing so with Bahamian Officials.
Any and all advice welcome

Assuming you can let them go, which isn't legal anywhere I know of, I would prob go with Ring teal... Mandarins will most likely go north as they are cold weather birds, and wood ducks will most likely migrate with some of the others that do around there. They are both very shy and will look for places people aren't, even if it means leaving the island. Ring teal are warmer weather birds, reproduce well and readily, and may stick around. Try Chiloe Wigeon too!

Good luck!

Ever look into Bahama AKA white cheeked pintail? More suited to keeping it local.

Letting non native species go feral is a big no no everywhere. They could push native species out and kill them off all together. Ask hawaiians about feral hogs and mongoose and the australians about rabbits, camels and cane toads. That being said, most ducks a migratory birds and they will prob. fly off when the season comes around.

Ever look into Bahama AKA white cheeked pintail? More suited to keeping it local.

Or Cuban Treeducks. I agree with everyone else so nothing I can add really except the Bahama officials will tell you what you can and cannot do of course

Thanks all for your replies. I have decided to try and get some Mandarins and keep them locked up for our enjoyment and not let them loose. If anyone knows where I can get some of these beautiful birds please let me know? Maybe later on I will just get some Mallards or something similar to let hang around the beaches, harbor and docks.

You can pinion their wings and let them go, then they can't fly. But I don't know how well Mandarins do health wise if they can't fly....good luck. I have a broody hen sitting on 5 mandarin eggs and I'm so excited! :)

I live part time in the Bahamas, you could try the Bahamas Humane Society! Not sure what island you are on, but the one here in Nassau sometimes gets ducks and chickens. Nothing as fancy as mandarins, but from what I recall there was a cute one last time I checked.

don't release on native species into the environment pls. island ecosystems are very fragile and cannot handle an invasive species well . I realize it's probably far from pristine habitat but it would be cheaper and easier to attract native species don't you think?

Back
Top Bottom