Need a better waterer

I have an auto waterer for my big girls, and roo. I absolutely love it! As long as it rains at least once every 10-14 days we don't have to think about the water.
I'm going to come up with a different solution than the canvas over the top, the chickens get up there and peck holes in it, but other than that it works pretty good.

But I like to have a smaller waterer for the brooder and for when I have a broody hatch a clutch. It helps her stay on any slow hatchers and allows the little babes to get water without having to brave the big world.
I love this idea! <3 Thank you for posting!

Once you go nipple you won’t go back! You can use as large a bottle or bucket as you like and not have to refill for days!

56655825-3A35-4625-AEB1-1CCCDF2BC76F.jpeg

Hi all,
We are about a month away from adding to our flock, and I'm trying to prepare. I've raised baby chicks before, and I used the plastic water that screws on to the red base and gravity feeds to water the chicks. I hate that thing. Mine doesn't tighten down all the way (it jumps the track) and so it just glugs the water out constantly soaking the bedding and everything. I want a better solution. Does anyone have a gravity fed waterer that they really love for chicks that doesn't leak all the dang water out?
Thanks for ideas!!
We use a DIY 5-gallon nipple waterer. We don't have to fill it but once a month, so to keep it fresh and algae-free, we put a few drops of RV water freshener in it. We had made that many years ago and had nipples left over so recently made one for the brooder out of an old unused Tupperware container.

Attachments

• Brooder 2.jpg
    Brooder 2.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 5
That one looks good. The only improvement I would like see is a Water cutoff
about 2\3 of the way down the pipe.
The only issue I see is if you just have chickens, I'd go with horizontal nipples so you won't have to clean cups all the time. If you have ducks, then I'd understand they would need the cups.

I have one and it works great with a regular mouth (aka, narrow mouth) canning jar.

If it's on any kind of a slope, put it on the DOWNHILL side. If it's uphill, the water level never covers the opening, so it keeps glugging out. Ideally, it should be flat, but just in case there is a slope, put it in the downhill side.
Put which side on the downhill side?

Put which side on the downhill side?
Put the opening that the water comes out on the downhill side.

Here's why:

Once the opening is under water, water stops coming out. If the opening is on the uphill side, it never is under water. Water will flow to the low side and spill off, so more water keeps coming out.

Put the opening that the water comes out on the downhill side.

Here's why:

Once the opening is under water, water stops coming out. If the opening is on the uphill side, it never is under water. Water will flow to the low side and spill off, so more water keeps coming out.
Thank you! I understand now

Back
Top Bottom