Need a better way to water my flock

I do exactly the same even cone shaped tops that sit inside the lid they cannot knock them of or they bird will drown ..
I have orange buckets with lids from Home Depot

Have you ever checked water temps in it during late summer?
I did once, outside temp was 90 and the water was 70. Both drums are in the shade which helps. If your concerned about the water being to hot, you could freeze blocks of ice to put inside as needed. I never lost a chicken to dehydration.

I never had one dehydrate. I work long weirdly roatating shifts and may not be able to check water daily. I use large black fortiflex pans, different sizes depending on where they are. My chickens usually have access to pasture water containers, I am just looking for some ideas for my tween-age chick pen. The good part about the open pans is I can see the level!

How many chickens do you have?

I use 5-gallon bucket nipple waterers. I sit them up on cinderblocks and put cone-shaped tops on them to keep them from attempting to roost on them.
I have 35 right now. I guess I'll make something for those nipple waterers then. Is there a specific brand that is better than the others?

How high off the ground are you setting these?
Do you check it: water clean & adequate and all nipples functioning?
How often & is it easy to see the level?
I have 20 or so mixed chickens.

How high off the ground are you setting these?
Do you check it: water clean & adequate and all nipples functioning?
How often & is it easy to see the level?
I have 20 or so mixed chickens.

I have them on cider blocks on a pallet in the run. Check every day and top off as needed. I clean once a week.

They’re pretty easy to see into to check. If the light is right I can see the water level from 20 yards away.

Each waterer has a plug-in heater in winter to keep the water from freezing.

The setup was life changing - no hauling water every day, dealing with frozen water in winter, etc.

I have no freeze issues but plenty of mosquito issues. I have to dump everything every 3 days to keep them from hatching.

Back
Top Bottom