Need a cheap solar night light for my coop

Kansaseq

Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum
10 Years
Feb 12, 2009
NE Kansas
So I fell asleep and forgot to get the girls back into their pen and coop before dark.The young SS girls and roo are very athletic and like to get up on things, even during the light of day. So tonight it should have been no surprise to find them roosted up in one of the cedar trees, along with the rest of that coop's flock. They are a bad influence! My coop area is very shaded so the actual coop is pretty dark,especially at dusk. I need something CHEAP that will kick on at dusk to encourage the girls to go inside at night. Last time I let them roost in trees, I lost several birds.
sad.png

Any thrifty ideas?

Thanks Purplechicken

Is that marriage proposal still on the table? I need something heavy lifted!!!
wink.png

My parents bought one at Sam's Club that is solar powered, but works on a remote...not just in the dark, so YOU can control when it's on. I can't find a link, but it was about $30.

Someone on here took one of those solar lamps that you'd use for the lawn and took the top off to make a night light for the coop.

Solar lights dropped in price this year. You can find them at ALL of the hardware stores, now, at between $3 and $5 each. I Prefer the metal kind--they won't snap in the winter. (I also have plastic.) I have put several in strategic places, such as the fenceposts where I have gates--I also have horses, too. Sometimes I feed animals at 10 PM or later. They all last until at least 10 or 11, even if there's not much sun that day.

Be sure to buy replacement batteries AT THE SAME TIME. Clerks can help you find the right size for your lights (different solar lights, different battery sizes. Most tops are easy to pop the battery in and out. Some lights have a cover that you need to unscrew to access. The batteries are supposed to last 1 year, but they don't always last that long. Sometimes when you THINK the battery is dead, it has simply been jostled loose and you can push it back in.

Also, there are solar lights with ON/OFF switches. You can save your batteries, such as in the summer when you KNOW you won't need them. NOTE: they do NOT survive a horse fight--I know

I LLOOOOVVVESSS mine!
love.gif

I'm liking the looks of this one from Harbor Freight..

95573.gif

The solar panel sticks out from the wall a bit and can be angled as needed, and the light itself has a pull cord... I'm thinking I might be able to mount it just above the pop-door on the inside, to where I can reach in the pop door before dark and tug it on, then tug it off once everybody's inside roosting -- without having to actually go inside the coop to do it.

Plus, instead of having a built-in and/or propriatary and/or irreplaceable battery, it simply runs on four size-AA NiCad batteries.

It's cheap enough, too.

Back
Top Bottom