Need a Cleaner Watering System

Morganharper

In the Brooder
May 18, 2017
I currently have the standard waterer from tractor supply (with the white top that screws into the red trough like thing on the bottom), I have to completely empty and clean the water twice a day because of how much dirt and bedding gets in it. I don't mind cleaning it but if I go out of town even over night I have to worry about them being without clean water in a few hours. I'm looking into a waterer with the trigger dispense, but I heard the chickens have to be taught how to use it and mine really aren't the learning kind. Would this new trigger type be a good idea? (Sorry long post)

Attachments

• IMG_0497.JPG
    IMG_0497.JPG
    24.1 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0498.JPG
    IMG_0498.JPG
    481.9 KB · Views: 17
I currently have the standard waterer from tractor supply (with the white top that screws into the red trough like thing on the bottom), I have to completely empty and clean the water twice a day because of how much dirt and bedding gets in it. I don't mind cleaning it but if I go out of town even over night I have to worry about them being without clean water in a few hours. I'm looking into a waterer with the trigger dispense, but I heard the chickens have to be taught how to use it and mine really aren't the learning kind. Would this new trigger type be a good idea? (Sorry long post)
You'd still have to clean out each reservoir. I use vertical nipple waterers, as in the above post, but I'm going to give horizontal ones a go. I also provide a basin of water, cleaned daily outside their run. They much prefer the basin of water. The vertical nipples I find useful if i need to isolate a bird to either break their broodiness or medicate, as they can be suspended in a crate with ease (I have a couple of half litre plastic soda bottles with the nipples drilled in the cap, which work very well for that purpose).

My chickens never got the hang of nipple, but took to the cups right away. I just clean the cups once a week and refill the container.

Watering nipples are the way to go, and horizontal ones are better (IMO) than the vertical kind. I have both. Vertical nipples will freeze in the winter, but horizontal ones won't if you keep the water from freezing.

You already got the vertical nipples but I like the horizontal nipples better and they don't leak at all, unlike the verticals. My 5 gallon for the coop will last almost 2 weeks with 8 chickens. I made a 1 gallon waterer for my brooder.

20170422_105015.jpg

20170423_140822.jpg

Back
Top Bottom