Need a coop+run

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by calebc311, Feb 26, 2014.

1. calebc311

calebc311 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 31, 2013
    East Bay California
    We need a coop and run for our fast growing chicks. I do not have time to build a coop this season so my best choice is to buy a cheap one while I'm at it. When I searched online, all of them were overwhelming overpriced compared to the material price. Does anyone know a site where they sell cheap chicken coops? thanks

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    There's no cheap manufactured coops but you have 2 options.

Get a prefab garden shed from Lowe's or Home Depot and add roosts/nests. Sometimes they have sales on them. The good thing is they're bigger than the overpriced manufactured coops and actually more appropriate.
    IMO, coop manufacturers grossly exaggerate the number of birds their buildings will hold.
    Keep checking craigslist for someone selling one.

1 person likes this.
  3. farmgirlsomeday

farmgirlsomeday Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Check out Tractor Supply's website. I noticed that they are carrying quite a few coops/runs now and compared to other store bought options, their prices are lower.

4. cpegram

cpegram Chillin' With My Peeps

sometimes people sell oversized doghouses or give them away (the wooden ones) I have a big one that is about 4' tall and 4' wide that i put a couple of T post in and wraped fencing for a run for my silkies for now till i build one....It used to be for my Great Pyrenees but my parents bought him a pillow and put it on the back porch and he doesn't want anything to do with it anymore

5. JaceAgain

JaceAgain Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2014
    Coastal NC
    I'm not sure where east bay is, but you can probably get away with an open air coop, I know you said you don't have time to build one but the open air ones look so basic, a staple gun and screwdriver and a couple pieces of plywood should do, it should only take a few hours.

6. calebc311

calebc311 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 31, 2013
    East Bay California
    Prefab garden sheds seem to be equally priced... ill look into it more

7. shmeggs

shmeggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2013
    check craigslist. we bought a new coop on cl when we started out. there was a man in our area that builds them and delivers. so craigslist would be a great place to look.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by