Need a diagnosis - Possibly blackhead?

BobHartmannSWR

In the Brooder
Oct 27, 2018
I was up most of the night trying to find a diagnosis for the issue. There a few pic of blackhead on the web but they may not have that disease not sure. The birds dont exhibit any other symptoms, they appear healthy. they are eating, drinking. New to backyard chickens. It seems all of my australorps have it, my gold laced wyandottes, and black stars. about a dozen bird, 1/2 the flock. they are all 14 weeks old. If you can provide a diagnosis and/or how to treat it, please respond.
20181026_144845-D85_0434.jpg
20181026_144910-D85_0436.jpg
20181026_145027-D85_0449.jpg

Last edited:
That looks more like they are injuring their skin on fencing or possibly pecking. Injured or bleeding skin usually turns black. I would also check their skin for mites, in case the darkened skin is from mites. Blackhead is mostly a disease of turkeys, and sometimes chickens and other poultry. It rarely causes a black head which is more a bluish discoloration of skin. Here is some reading anout the disease:
http://www.poultrydvm.com/condition/blackhead-disease

Oh yes, welcome to BYC.

That looks more like they are injuring their skin on fencing or possibly pecking. Injured or bleeding skin usually turns black. I would also check their skin for mites, in case the darkened skin is from mites. Blackhead is mostly a disease of turkeys, and sometimes chickens and other poultry. It rarely causes a black head which is more a bluish discoloration of skin. Here is some reading anout the disease:
http://www.poultrydvm.com/condition/blackhead-disease

Oh yes, welcome to BYC.
I almost thought frost bite ???

Have you tried washing the dark areas. My first thought would be dried on dirt or blood. If you wet your fingers and give one of those wattles a rub, I would be interested to know what happens?? The bird(s) in the first and 3rd photo look like they are mouth breathing.... am I correct and if so, was it because they were stressed or are they showing signs of respiratory distress?

Looks like just the color of the combs, face and wattles. The birds with their mouths open were probably flipping out because the op caught them to take pics.
no I am photographer and all shots were done with a long lens with the birds going about their business.

Have you tried washing the dark areas. My first thought would be dried on dirt or blood. If you wet your fingers and give one of those wattles a rub, I would be interested to know what happens?? The bird(s) in the first and 3rd photo look like they are mouth breathing.... am I correct and if so, was it because they were stressed or are they showing signs of respiratory distress?
They pant due to our heat. possibly dirt but no blood. No injuries on any bird. I will check with water a little later. I will also get some full bird photos a bit later.

Back
Top Bottom