Need a dog good with chickens

hensnguineas2

Chirping
May 15, 2015
I live in the very rural Ozarks with many predators. At this time I have my second flock after Coons picked off my ladies one by one no matter how I strengthened their coop. They even ripped the screen in my back porch and killed one I was nursing back to health from predator attack.
Now I have my tractor coop reinforced with hardware cloth all around and new boards for any weak spots. I have them close to the house and they free range part of the day.
I'm afraid to leave them out without being there with them due to Hawks that circle above. I'm looking for a dog that will keep Hawks scared off and not eat or kill by birds from playfullness. Any ideas on breeds that are compatible with chickens? Mid to small breeds would be best.

Our golden retriever is fantastic with my ducks. They kind of grew up together, so she knows not to touch them. My dog and my drake even love to play together and chase each other around the yard. As long as you train your dog to see that the chickens aren’t to be messed with, you should be good.

Welcome to Backyard Chickens! We are glad you joined the flock!:welcome BYC is a helpful site providing all the information you need to know about poultry! There is always space for more members on the BYC roost!:highfive: I would recommend a livestock guardian but it needs to be taught when young or it might kill your poultry. Hope you enjoy it here as much as we all do!

Back
Top Bottom