Need a friend suggestion for 2mo old gimpy hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by texaslilpeepers, Oct 8, 2013.

1. texaslilpeepers

texaslilpeepers New Egg

Oct 8, 2013
    I have lurked reading threads now & then, but did not feel the need to create an account. I tend to be a "keep to myself" kind of person. But... I needed some expertise, because reading, researching, and google were failing me.

I have a 2 month old coppermaran mutt, hatched out from some friend's eggs. That batch was a hard hatch and this gal came out with a bum leg. Thought it was disease, but I think it was just egg positioning. Anyway...she is a wee over 2 months old now, her pen mates outgrew her & stomped on her. I moved her from baby pen to baby pen. Her pen mates are now 1 mo old barred rocks. A friend had a Splash Slikie roo. I thought AH a boyfriend! He was docile overall, but he was a man and wanted to treat her like a full grown hen, so that didn't work.

Most people would have culled her, but I am not like that. My best and favourite hen was a hen with a crooked beak that we kept trimmed. She was my Ameraucana hen that went broody, hatched out beautiful chicks, had an enormous personality. I loved her.

I want a friend for my gimpy hen, one that she can live with in a pen. One that isn't too big because I am thinking dad was coppermaran and mom was a banty. Does someone here have a suggestion?

Thank you kindly.

~SLS

Last edited: Oct 8, 2013
  2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Jaerhon, Phoenix, Silkie or bantam of any of the following breeds - Orpington, Brahma, Barnevelder, Cochin.

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I have always thought that d'Uccle hens and Cochin bantam hens were especially docile.

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Cochins and Silkies are very tame, docile birds usually.

5. texaslilpeepers

texaslilpeepers New Egg

Oct 8, 2013
    Thank you for all the good information. I am probably going to purchase some silkie eggs like the rooster I was given. Then I can (hopefully) give my rooster some friends and my little gimpy girl a friend to grow up with in the same shot. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by