1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need a good sauce for my dinner tonight.

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by cupman, Jul 18, 2011.

1. cupman

cupman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Portland, OR
    I'm not much of a cook but I try to pretend that I am. I am having someone over for dinner tonight and want to make it look good and fancy but I'm more the type to bbq steak or hamburgers and make mashed potatoes. Pasta is not my strong suit. So I have this angel hair pasta(my favorite type) and I picked up some shrimp from the market yesterday and need some ideas. I also have a big chunk of salmon I caught thawing on the counter. I was thinking of mixing the pasta, peas, shredded up bbq'd salmon and the shrimp as a main course and maybe just a green salad on the side. The big question now is: what type of sauce do I make to go over my pasta? I am leaning towards a white creamy sauce opposed to a red tomato sauce type thing.

I'm open to all suggestions, I'm probably one of the least picky eaters I know so basically anything is open. I also really like spicy. Thanks.

2. TerriLaChicks

TerriLaChicks Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    This doesn't make a creamy sauce but it's our favorite w/shrimp & pasta. It's also excellent the next day, chilled.

2 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
    Ingredients
    4 ounces uncooked linguine
    1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
    1-1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
    1 green onion, chopped
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    4-1/2 teaspoons butter
    12 ounces uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
    1 can (14 ounces) water-packed artichoke hearts, rinsed, drained and chopped
    1/4 cup white wine or chicken broth
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon Creole seasoning
    Directions
    •Cook the linguine according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a
    large saucepan, saute the red pepper, garlic and onion in oil and
    butter until vegetables are crisp-tender. Add the shrimp; saute
    until shrimp turn pink. Stir in the remaining ingredients; heat
    through. Drain linguine; serve with shrimp mixture. Yield: 2
    servings.

3. 2DogsFarm

2DogsFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    NW Indiana
    I think your idea of pasta with BBQ salmon sounds wonderful.
    A restaurant I go to serves a salmon pasta with a lemon dill sauce that is delicious.

Save your shrimp for another day, or serve as a shrimp cocktail appetizer.
    Just use bottled chili or cocktail sauce and a wedge of fresh lemon along with the steamed shrimp.

For the salmon pasta I'd use some of the pasta cooking water mixed into the cooked pasta, along with some white wine, olive oil, lemon zest & chopped fresh dill
    This recipe sounds good & easy:

http://www.ifood.tv/recipe/pasta-shells-with-salmon-and-lemon-dill-sauce

4. cupman

cupman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Portland, OR
    right on both ideas sound pretty good. I actually can try them both probably, maybe that will be dinner tomorrow. Thanks again

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by