Need a little help please :)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by DJNuggets, Aug 19, 2018.

1. DJNuggets

DJNuggets Hatching

Aug 19, 2018
    Hello. I just picked up this little chick. Mother was a red sexlink and father was an easter egger. I am really confused whether she is a he or what not. The chick is over 2 weeks old, heading toward 3 weeks. No comb or wattle growth feathers are coming in all over in spots but a slight reddish colour except for the underbelly. The wings look like they are turning reddish slowing. I have attached pictures. If anyone has any thoughts.

Attached Files:

Kayla’s Chickens likes this.
  2. Aapomp831

Aapomp831 Songster

Oct 4, 2017
    Lincolnton, NC
    It’s really too early to tell.

3. HuffleClaw

HuffleClaw Eggstremly Crazy Chicken Lady

Jul 8, 2018
    Alabama
    My Coop
    It’s a bit too early to tell... @JedJackson might know MAYBE but it’s really not old enough.

4. BreanneRN

BreanneRN Songster

Jun 8, 2017
    Central CA
    Way too soon to tell, unless you know someone that knows how to vent sex them... The red sex-link is a crossbred chicken with a red rooster father and a silver based hen. The EE is only defined by it's ability to produce a colored egg, and it doesn't even have to be blue or green, can be pink or brown. Sex linked chickens are mostly a 1 generation thing and will not produce sex linked young or breed true in the next generation when bred to each other. Check in when the chick reaches about 6 weeks in age, by then comb development will start to be apparent and an educated guess can be made. But it is a cute chick!

Golden Brahma 64 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: