Need a little local help!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Chicabee19, Aug 28, 2008.

1. Chicabee19

Chicabee19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    n/a
    Ok...

I've decided to try and find someone near me who can help me hatch 2 eggs.

After seeing so many pics and videos of chicks in people's houses, I realized it won't be bad at all to keep only 2 in one of those huge black fertilizer containers in our master bathroom during the day, and in the basement with a warming light at night.

So I am looking for someone who is interested in helping me obtain 2 hatching eggs and who has an incubator or broody hen, allowing me to be there for the hatch... and I can take the babies home on day 3 or so.

Crossing my fingers. [​IMG]

2. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    awh comon get an incubator and hatch your own it's so much more fun...

unless you wanna hang out at this persons house for 15 minutes to up to like 2 days long...i'd say get an incu and do it yourself so much funner [​IMG]

3. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

Get yourself a heavy metal dish- flea market is great, cake rack and a 25 watt bulb with a lamp. you can use the same type light for your brood box. Now a good themometer is manditory. Oh, and aluminum foil.
    Now for a week prior to recieving the eggs, set up your heavy metal dish, cake rack or you can actually use a towel in the bottom. Hang the lamp securely over the top of the pan, themometer in on the cake rack or towel, pay attention to the temp, lift the aluminum foil to regulate temp. Keep the temp between 99 and 101 degrees. (don't forget the cup of water for humidity)
    After you have secured the process of temp, removing and replacing the aluminum foil, you can bring in 4 eggs. More times then not, you loose 1 or 2 in the process. This will insure you will get 2 chicks.
    2-3 times a day turn eggs, sprinkle a few drops of water from the custard cup (with your fingers) and make sure the cup does not dry up.
    In 21 days, you will have fluffy babies. It sounds complicated, but its not. This method I'd reccomend doing it in the basement for the temp control. But if you have a moldy basement, put this in a Northern room where its a steady heat. Light bulbs cannot shut themselves off when its heats up.
    Good luck!

4. Chicabee19

Aug 8, 2008
    n/a
    thanks for the advice!

after I posted this I found several utube videos on how to make a homemade incubator. It doesn't look all that hard!

Now to find some eggs.... [​IMG]

5. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    Once you start you won't stop! You will end up making incubators out of everything [​IMG]
    I saw the File Cabinet one on another post and I thought , "Hey I don't need all that old paperwork in my file cabinet" [​IMG]

I bought one Hova Bator off Ebay, then realized I could do staggered hatches if I had another for hatching, so bought one at the feed store.

I have not hatched since June and I couldn't stand it, so I now have eggs coming from 2 different people.

Sure, go ahead think 2 eggs will be enough [​IMG]

6. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Quote:What kind of eggs are you looking for ???

7. Chicabee19

Aug 8, 2008
    n/a
    I'd like to find BO and EE to start with I think...

I'm aiming for these:

EE
    RIR
    BO
    Red Sussex
    Sex-Link
    Silkie (later, maybe)

wish me luck! [​IMG]

8. Chicabee19

Aug 8, 2008
    n/a
    I'm sort of scared though... to make a homemade incubator and mess it up!???!!??

9. GopherBoyFarms

GopherBoyFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    Vancouver WA
    we have a flock of all kinds, and a Cochin rooster that is doing a great job at fertelizing the eggs. Most eggs we use have been fertilized.
    you can see the types of girls we have in our signature line.
    possibly you might want some? My son just rought in a green egg and a brown egg [​IMG]

oops, just saw you are in the Gorge....that could be anyplace from 30 miles from us to 90 miles away.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2008
  10. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Quote:If you need any silkie eggs let me know, right now I have a nice splash pair laying well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by