Need a man's point of view

For cleaning of the visible dirt and fecal/caecal residue on concrete that the chickens leave behind, I highly recommend TSP (TriSodiumPhosphate), available in a powdered/granular form. It dissolves easily and fully in warm water, and you can dilute or strengthen it as your needs dictate.

Scrub with a stiff bristle janitor's type push broom that is waterproof, and this will do wonders just on the first pass.

Second pass, utilize diluted bleach for both its cleaning and germ-killing properties. After that, hit it with a pressure washer, starting with a moderate power setting and the second widest spray nozzle available, and work your way a step at a time to the narrowest nozzle (strongest pressure). After that, let it all dry thoroughly, spot clean as needed, and then give it a nice once over with undiluted vinegar, which will neutralize all remaining odors, leaving nothing but a clean look and a clean scent.

This approach has worked on brickwork (formerly) marred by years of english ivy vines and roots, and on concrete underpasses that were directly beneath pigeon social clubs...

...I'm just sayin'
cool.png

Lightfoote

So you going to take "my man space" from me....for your chickens....yeah no, we will have a strong convo! lol

Mind you @ my house is my flock as I am the crazy chicken dude as "they" call me....buy my garage and my man cave are the only spaces I have...I would not give them up for my OWN flock.....good luck!

Quote:
Man.......that's a lot to do just to keep your chickens in the garage. But you didn't address the dust and odor in everything.
smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
X2 I am the chicken person in my household and they are outside well away from the house. We do incubate and brood the little ones for just a few day's in a back room but that's it. My workshop is my space, current projects in different stages of work and it's where I hang out when the DW & girls in my house are having their moments Often LOL. The thought of having an insenitive spouse keep her birds flying around nesting on my workbenches and projects making a complete mess of things is totaly unacceptable regardless if who cleans it up. Chickens belong outside in the enviroment they like, not in a garage where they will adapt but not at my expense. I am sorry but the cuteness and fluffy factor has limits and to the dismay of many of the DW's we all don't share that attitude and it's unfair for you to follow the ill advice of the old wet's hen that tell you to tell your DH his point of view doesn't matter, ( "yeah that's good advice I am sure" ). Respect his space as he does yours.

Last edited:
Well first of all HIS garage. I'm a guy and I say ask but I doubt he'd mind unless he keeps his tools and car there. You will have dust and cobwebs everywhere , so plan to run the vacumm. ALOT!

As for the neighbors? If you haven't, check your zoning. It's late but if your zoning allows chickens then I wouldn't worry. I did this "BEFORE" I got my chickens and spoke to the neighbors that I had called the town and checked.

You should be aware that certain breeds are more vocal than others. The two Dominiques i just gave away were the loudest. Getting ready for bed early and calling the others to come to bed. My Dels can be loud if disturbed while laying or one starts and the other follow. Especially Nick the rooster.

Now the Buff orpingtons seem to be ok. Not to loud, so's you'd notice. I do have a couple of Frizzle cochin hens and they seem ok too. These are bantams but they come in LF too.

There may be others that are not as hyper.

I wish you the best,

Rancher

Back
Top Bottom