Need a quick answer about nest boxes, please!

SparksNV

Songster
9 Years
Jun 13, 2010
Spanish Springs, NV
DH will be working on the coop solo tomorrow - I have a used cabinet I want to utilize for a nesting box, however, it is 11-1/4" high and 28" wide - I bought it when I was only going to have 4-5 hens - well, now I have 7 pullets on hold for pickup next week - will this be big enough for 7? or should we build a second nesting box & can we put it under the first one, ie stack it?

Thanks!

Just put a divider in the middle. Four hens per nest box is the general rule. You'll be fine.

Every hen does not need a nest box. With 7 chooks you should be ok with 3-4. If you divide the 28" four ways you'll need divisions every 7", plenty wide for a big hen to be very comfortable. Sounds like a great find and a good project!
big_smile.png

From my reading it's usually any where from 3-5 hens per box. So, you may need to come up with one more. I think my boxes are close to being 12X12 but I can't exactly remember.
EDIT: I agree with the previous posters divide the box and it would be fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys! I think we will just stick with the one cabinet - I actually didn't buy it (like I posted) I found it on the curb with a sign that said "FREE" - can't go wrong there! If we need another nesting box, we can add one inside I guess..

Last edited:
Leave the piece undivided and have a big old community nest. I sometimes have two hens trying to squeeze into one box. One big nest would be nice.

That will be plenty of room they will all probably choose one nest to lay in and no doubt all at the same time. I have 2 roll away nest boxes 4 holes each and they use usually 2 holes for 12 hens and 1 hold per nest box.

Back
Top Bottom