Need a quick answer about nest boxes, please!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by SparksNV, Jul 29, 2010.

1. SparksNV

SparksNV Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Spanish Springs, NV
    DH will be working on the coop solo tomorrow - I have a used cabinet I want to utilize for a nesting box, however, it is 11-1/4" high and 28" wide - I bought it when I was only going to have 4-5 hens - well, now I have 7 pullets on hold for pickup next week - will this be big enough for 7? or should we build a second nesting box & can we put it under the first one, ie stack it?

Thanks!

2. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    Just put a divider in the middle. Four hens per nest box is the general rule. You'll be fine.

3. atimme

atimme Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2010
    Chicago
    Every hen does not need a nest box. With 7 chooks you should be ok with 3-4. If you divide the 28" four ways you'll need divisions every 7", plenty wide for a big hen to be very comfortable. Sounds like a great find and a good project! [​IMG]

4. OrloffTom

OrloffTom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2010
    NC
    From my reading it's usually any where from 3-5 hens per box. So, you may need to come up with one more. I think my boxes are close to being 12X12 but I can't exactly remember.
    EDIT: I agree with the previous posters divide the box and it would be fine.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2010
  5. SparksNV

SparksNV Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Spanish Springs, NV
    Thanks guys! I think we will just stick with the one cabinet - I actually didn't buy it (like I posted) I found it on the curb with a sign that said "FREE" - can't go wrong there! If we need another nesting box, we can add one inside I guess..

Last edited: Jul 29, 2010
  6. Nohoka

Nohoka Out Of The Brooder

My boxes are 12x12. You will want to devide the big box up into smaller boxes. If you give them too much room they may scratch around and damage the eggs.

7. peterlund

peterlund Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    MA Cranberry Country
    I have 16 girls, and 8 nesting boxes. HOWEVER.... the ladies use only TWO of them. They are 12 x 12 and I sometimes find two (or even three) in a box. You will be fine.

8. emrys

emrys Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2009
    Leave the piece undivided and have a big old community nest. I sometimes have two hens trying to squeeze into one box. One big nest would be nice.

9. mgw

mgw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    I think you have plenty of space for 7 hens. No worries!!

10. jbowen9

jbowen9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    southwest Virginia
    That will be plenty of room they will all probably choose one nest to lay in and no doubt all at the same time. I have 2 roll away nest boxes 4 holes each and they use usually 2 holes for 12 hens and 1 hold per nest box.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by