1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need a quick answer!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Domestic_goddess, Oct 31, 2009.

1. Domestic_goddess

Domestic_goddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Utah
    I've been thinking about buying Poly peepers or anti pick bits to help prevent pecking, any thoughts? Have they worked for anyone else?

2. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    I have heard the peepers work, but I don't have experience with them. I would think that the peepers affect their ability to peck the ground and forage, but like I said, I haven't tried them, so that may not be the case. I haven't heard of the anit-pick bits before. Do they fit over the top beak or something? Are all the birds having the problem or just a few? I have heard that protein is sometimes the cause of pecking. I had one hen that had feathers pecked for her back. Between increasing the protein content to the flock and putting a saddle (chicken jacket) on the hen, the problem was solved. Some people have also had success using pine tar.

3. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    How old are the birds that are picking?

I use VetRx to control picking. I rub it on their necks, backs, or any exposed area. The taste of it stops the pickers from picking.

4. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    Quote:PC, I didn't know VetRX can be used for picking too! How often does it need to applied?

5. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Just a couple times worked for me. I've used it when chicks were at each other in the brooder, when a few birds were picked on in a young flock, and when integrating birds a few times too. Most of the time I put it on the bird, let them pick the bird, get the taste, and that was it. It was quite amazing.

6. purpletree23

purpletree23 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    First you should find out why they are picking/pecking? How many chickens do you have?
    What size is their coop?
    What size is their run?
    Are they wounding each other?
    Are they eating the feathers?

7. tulie13

tulie13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    NW Florida
    Quote:Yes, this is the crux of the issue - if they are overcrowded or stressed, it can cause picking. Also if they aren't getting enough protein - how old are they, and what are you feeding them?

8. Domestic_goddess

Domestic_goddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Utah
    I have 7 barred rock hens in this pacticular coop, and they are over 2 years old. They free range everyday as well. It's only 1 or 2 hens that do the pecking and I've seen them fight over using the same nesting box, even though we have plenty more nesting boxes to choose from. Right now I'm feeding them layer pellets mixed with grain! None of my birds have ever been wounded persay, it's just thier feathers are being plucked out, I had one hen completely bare on her back, I don't think they are eating them. They just went through a molt and grew all thier beautiful feathers back now and are looking great again! I'm just trying to think of ways to prevent this in the future.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by