Need a ROOSTER WHISPERER

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by msrma7670, Aug 28, 2008.

1. msrma7670

msrma7670 Chillin' With My Peeps

Finally back after almost three long months away!

My problem started two 1/2 months ago. First we added a child to my family, then my brothers sister and parents came and stayed with my family for two whole months. Up to this point all my birds were hand feed and well behaved even my RIR rooster. He would even let my 3 yo daughter feed him and pet him at 10 months old. Once my family showed up I had more chores to do and everyone had less time with the chickens. Now My rooster will chase my kids and my wife. I do not have a problem with him. He will eat out of my hand if kids are not present. My wife does not run from him, kids do.

My question is can I retame him to the point where he won't chase my kids family and be civil?[​IMG]

Does any one have some advice on helping kids with a rooster, other than applying the rod of wisdom?[​IMG]

One more change in the hen house We have a Tom Turkey that thinks he is a chicken he is only about three months old. Yes they sleep together and eat together.

PLEASE HELP!!!! [​IMG]

My flock has 8 hens RIR Rooster and a blus slate Tom turkey all in one pen.
    1 slash /1 blue blue orp plus 9 rir hens in a pen
    then all my quail in another.

2. ChickyPooh

ChickyPooh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    South GA
    Try reading Rooster Red's page on rehabilitating mean roos.

3. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Your family will need to invest some time in rehabing him, but yes it can be done.

4. hensonly

hensonly Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    upstate NY
    Quote:Where do I find that page??

I had no intention of getting any roos, but two of the batch I ordered last spring were boys...not mean yet but one does peck and "spur" me (he has no spurs yet) at times. Since I didn't plan on roos in my flock, I didn't read up on roo behavior, now I need a crash course! I like him, he's beautiful, but can't have a nasty bird. I'd love some tips on how to deal with him.

5. Scrambled Egg

Scrambled Egg Flock Mistress

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    Quote:I was going to suggest our resident roo tamer but I see he already heard the whisper and repsonded!!! Lee is the best if he can't help tame that roo...the stew pot is all that's left!![​IMG]

6. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Quote:Where do I find that page??

Rooster Red posted in this thread. It's the link in his signature. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by