Need advice…where would you put the roost bars?

I myself would only have 1 roost bar there at the height of the back one and run at a right angle to that shelf another shelf and roost bar. otherwise if left with the two together the higher birds are at risk of pooping on the lower ranking birds on the front shelf also by being the same level all round there is no fight for the higher roost.
Also roost bars need to be in the middle of the poop board to catch the poop otherwise it will hit and make a mess on the wall.
I've looked closer at your picture and the back roost is far too close to the wall, the chickens would not favour sitting there, The front roost is too close to the front of the poop board so if chickens facing the window poop would land on the floor defeating the purpose of having the board.
You will also need a good depth of soft landing when getting off the roost. My hens jump from the roost to the poop board then onto straw as I also have lino down on the floor for ease of cleaning, the straw breaks the impact on landing and protects the chicken legs from breaking as the lino is slippery as a landing pad.

Last edited:
Louisiana- hot
future 11 hens
- Wyandotte’s
-Speckled Sussex
-FCBM
-EE’s
-Welsummer
-Sapphire Splash

8x8 coop- sand floor
16x24 run- sand floor

Would really appreciate your thoughts and advice on where to put the roost bars.

Windows on east/west wall- 21x34
Window bottom is 52” from floor on both walls. I want to put the roost bar high enough (42”?) so they can sit on it and look out the windows but am somewhat concerned it’s too high?
View attachment 3581456

View attachment 3581457

- north side wall- window on floor 21x37
-maybe put a roost bar here at this large window but how high? and it will be lower than the side window roost bars, is that okay? That middle brace is 30” tall.

View attachment 3581458

- south wall- nest box with screen vents on top.
View attachment 3581459
in my experience, i have wyandottes (we're in central maine) and they overheat during our warmest days. I have to help them stay cool. i've read this breed has a double layer of feathers.

in my experience, i have wyandottes (we're in central maine) and they overheat during our warmest days. I have to help them stay cool. i've read this breed has a double layer of feathers.

My Wyandotte from Welp struggled in the heat, but my Wyandottes from Ideal don't.

Another reason to get birds from hatcheries that are either close by or in the same climate zone. :)

Yeah…that’s what I thought too but I asked the feed/livestock store and three of the workers have Wyandotte’s and said they do fine as long as they have deep shade.

We also stay hot all the time here so once they acclimate to the heat I think it’s easier then the severe cold hall have and then go into hot summers.

Idk…I hope they do well- they are the prettiest hens I researched and I will have three.

My Wyandotte from Welp struggled in the heat, but my Wyandottes from Ideal don't.

Another reason to get birds from hatcheries that are either close by or in the same climate zone. :)
They are all from Hoover Hatchery in Iowa…

Ehhh…that’s a pretty good jump!!!

I think getting the chicks out of the house ASAP and into the outer environment really helps to get them to acclimate quickly.

My first batch was brooded on my back porch in 100dg heat. I was lucky though and was able to have off on Fri/Sat/Sun to watch and care for them. I had to hand syringe electrolyte water to three of them- they were stumbling around falling over. The other three did great.

Not off tomorrow so my next five I get today will go in the house for 1week this time. Temp here is 105dg feels like 115. Just need to get them stable and stronger before testing them in the heat.

I'm in Houston Texas and there is no way in the world. I would add misters in my coop or run.
Keeping it completely dry is best.

Beautiful dogs! I love Dobermans. I miss mine.
I just lost my black male he passed 2 weeks ago. He was a beast, the true definition of a Doberman. My red female is a sweetheart that is extremely easy to handle and train.

For all the time, energy and work I put into them, they are well worth the end reward. You train them right and they can be absolutely amazing companions. But the issue is….it takes a lot of time and energy. Dobermans are not one to feed, lock up and forget about until you are ready. You have to work and train them daily or else they will grow into crack heads.

I want to get another black male but I just started this chicken venture. I need to see how this pans out first then just maybe….

Back
Top Bottom