Need advice…where would you put the roost bars?

Ladder or not may depend on your breeds. When we built the big coop I had a Brahma whose "flying" -- that is, wing-assisted leap -- capability was about a max height of 18" when POWERFULLY motivated by the thought that someone else was getting a treat she wasn't sharing in.

Currently, I have a California White who periodically sleeps 14 feet up in the roof structure (though a night spent out in a thunderstorm *may* have convinced her to sleep inside the coop for now).

I don't know how well it works for others, but having separate (distant) roosts is something I always avoided.
Chickens prefer to sleep together, so it becomes a status issue over who gets to sleep with the main gang and who is going to try and fail and get knocked down a lot before they give up and sleep in the non-preferred spot with few friends.
On a long single roost they do jockey for space, but they have enough room to move to the side and learn to avoid getting knocked off. Everyone can still be part of the group and they don't get so demoralized that they fall far down the pecking order.
It might be a silly concern, but I don't like (extreme) bird drama at bedtime. It bugs me.

Is there space to the side of the door? If it were me, I'd set the roost opposite the nest boxes. Keep it high as they like the feeling of safety, but check the angles for landing. I don't bother with ladders, except in the baby coop.

Last edited:
I don't know how well it works for others, but having separate (distant) roosts is something I always avoided.
Chickens prefer to sleep together, so it becomes a status issue over who gets to sleep with the main gang and who is going to try and fail and get knocked down a lot before they give up and sleep in the non-preferred spot with few friends.
On a long single roost they do jockey for space, but they have enough room to move to the side and learn to avoid getting knocked off. Everyone can still be part of the group and they don't get so demoralized that they fall far down the pecking order.
It might be a silly concern, but I don't like (extreme) bird drama at bedtime. It bugs me.

Is there space to the side of the door? If it were me, I'd set the roost opposite the nest boxes. Keep it high as they like the feeling of safety, but check the angles for landing. I don't bother with ladders, except in the baby coop.
So thinking about putting this style of roost on the west wall.
BC4DB0F0-DD7F-46C2-8D41-C00CA28BA2A0.jpeg

West wall:

B16A8D17-2CBF-4FA1-8C3C-712B76075279.jpeg

Will have 11 hens to fit on those roost bars. I know that sometimes ladder roost are not liked because they all fight for the height but if I go the length of the wall, then all should have space.

And I would like to have some roost bar space in the window and some behind the wall.

The poop pans will prevent poop on the floor and they can move under it to and from the coop door.

Louisiana- hot
future 11 hens
- Wyandotte’s
-Speckled Sussex
-FCBM
-EE’s
-Welsummer
-Sapphire Splash

8x8 coop- sand floor
16x24 run- sand floor

Would really appreciate your thoughts and advice on where to put the roost bars.

Windows on east/west wall- 21x34
Window bottom is 52” from floor on both walls. I want to put the roost bar high enough (42”?) so they can sit on it and look out the windows but am somewhat concerned it’s too high?
View attachment 3581456

View attachment 3581457

- north side wall- window on floor 21x37
-maybe put a roost bar here at this large window but how high? and it will be lower than the side window roost bars, is that okay? That middle brace is 30” tall.

View attachment 3581458

- south wall- nest box with screen vents on top.
View attachment 3581459
Don't forget to get a mister or two. They save chicken lives.

Back
Top Bottom