Need advice about Genesis 1588 Hovabator...before I ruin another batch

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by huckleberryfarm, Mar 14, 2011.

1. huckleberryfarm

huckleberryfarm Chickenista

Jan 7, 2010
    Greenwood, SC
    I've been using two RCom King Suro 20's to incubate and hatch my eggs. They are awesome! I went a little egg buying crazy and had too many eggs. I bought the 1588 Hovabator thinking I could use it just to hatch during lockdown. I just finished a hatch and it did not turn out well. Normally I have a 85-90% hatch rate but this was about 30%. And the eggs were from different people so I'm thinking it's the incubator. I did not buy the hygrometer. I read when I ordered it to just fill all the channels during lockdown. My gut is telling me it's a humidity issue.

I have an incubator full of eggs that need to go into lockdown. My plan was to leave some in the RCom and move some to the Hovabator. But I'm scared! I don't have time to order the hygrometer. Any advice? I thought I read somewhere that you can put a wet sponge in there but I'm not sure if that's a good idea if I don't know the humidity levels. Does this type incubator really keep the temp steady? I'm so used to my computerized ones that have everything right there to see. This one is making me crazy!

I appreciate any thoughts and advice!

2. pawtraitart

pawtraitart Songster

May 30, 2007
    Idaho
    With mine, one side channel and the middle channel brings up my humidity to 55-60% which is just where I like it so that it doesn't get too high once hatching begins. I never fill all of the channels. Of course you have to factor in the humidity in the room your incubator is in so I can't say that doing what I do will give the same results. Do you have a Walmart nearby? You could pick up a hygrometer, there. Both of the ones I got from Walmart read humidity 5% lower than it really is so I factor that in. Hope that helps.

3. huckleberryfarm

huckleberryfarm Chickenista

Jan 7, 2010
    Greenwood, SC
    Thanks! I just realized that it's not something specific to the incubator. I'm off to get one!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: