Need advice ASAP - possibly sold a sick chicken

Maddly

In the Brooder
Jul 12, 2015
This weekend we purchased an 8-week-old Easter Egger pullet to add to our small backyard flock, but we are starting to worry that we have been sold a sick chicken. We did notice that a few of the other pullets on the farm had infected eyes, but the lady we purchased the pullet from assured us that it was nothing to worry about and the pullet that we chose seemed very healthy and happy. We quarantined the new pullet just to be on the safe side, and sure enough after two days she started coughing, shaking her head, and making strange sounds that are almost like snoring. She does not have any discharge or swelling and seems otherwise healthy, but I've been reading up on poultry diseases and am worried this could be the start of a mycoplasma infection or some other respiratory infection. Am I overreacting, or is this something to be concerned about?

I am definitely not going to add this bird to my flock any time soon and will be using tight biocontrol to keep the infection away from my other chickens, but is there anything else I can and should be doing to protect my flock and help this poor new bird? Should we be getting the new bird tested or reporting the seller to anyone? We live near Texas A&M and I've heard they do testing for some poultry diseases, but I don't know who to contact or how to go about it or what the normal procedure is. Does anyone have any experience with a situation like this?

Thanks so much in advance...we were SO excited to add in a new bird and this is really scary and devastating!!

You did the right thing by keeping the chick quarantined!! I personally would return the chick to the seller. If they are reputable they should take it back no questions asked. Even if you are very careful there's always a possibility of passing it on to the rest of your flock. I wouldn't take the risk!

Thanks so much for the advice, I'm really struggling over what to do. I think we will keep an eye on her for a few more days and then contact the seller to see if she will accept a return. Really sad, the new pullet is so sweet and we were really looking forward to finally getting a blue egg :(

Back
Top Bottom