Need advice, Fast Please

silkiebeginer

Songster
12 Years
Jul 31, 2007
I have one baby that hatched a few hours ago, I have two more pipped and 2 more that I hear pecking and peeping. Do i need to turn down the temp a little since i am leaving the hatched baby in the bator. i left the babies in bator on my last hatch for about 4 days but i can't remember if i turned the heat down before or after all were hatched?
TIA..Jennifer Temp is between 99.5 and 100.5, humidity is between 65-70 think the baby with be safe and not get to hot?

i usually move them to the brooder where they dry out quicker than in the incubator, dont change your temps,

Last edited:
i don't have a brooder, wish i did. i only hatch out 1 or 2 times a year and usualy just a few eggs. is my baby gonna be ok in the bator at those temps. Seems like i left the babies in last time, but i can't remember. it is drinking and walking around and peeping.

You do not change your temps in the incubator when your chicks are hatching and pipping....The hatched ones are fine in the bator til your hatch is complete...

Leave him in there. Opening the bator now can really mess up your humidity and temps.

Last edited:
you do have a brooder,,,the place that your putting your chicks after they hatch with heat,,i use a fish tank with a 60watt black light right in the tank, works well keeps them very warm,
ok, we have left our chicks in the incubator for a few days never changing the heat and they have been fine, dont worry, but dont leave them in there for more than 1-2 days

Where do you keep your chicks after they hatch? Where do you have a heat lamp and food and water set up for them? That is a brooder. If you change the temp you will compromise your hatch. The chick can stay in the incubator 24 hours before being removed. It needs that warmth and will be fine in there until it starts to dry out and get active.

this is what i find ,,,it isnt such a science as people make it seem, i open the incubator to take out a chick,,people who hand turn their eggs open the incubator several times a day.i would much rather wait til there are 2 chicks to take out as one will drive you crazy with the peeping.

I have been opening it every once in a while to change the water for the baby. But i use a wet sponge to bump up humidity fast and my temps are recovering fast too. Could be becase it is about 75-80 degree here and humidity is about 55% in the room we are in normally. But i don't think i'll open it again and chance it. If it knocks over the water this time it will just have to wait it out,lol. It is so cute and active. Thanks everyone for the advice. Jennifer

Are you putting in water for the chick to drink? A newly hatched chicked can go 72 hours without food or water. The yolk is the very last thing to absorb and it provides everything the chick needs for the time being. Every time you open the incubator you are compromising the hatch of the other eggs.

Yes, people open incubators to hand turn eggs but after day 18 you don't turn eggs and there is no reason other than a severe need to add water that you should open the incubator until the hatch is complete. If you take chicks out wait until there are a few and they are dry before taking them out.

Often new hatchers wonder why their hatch failed and often it is simply not keeping the hands off the eggs and not keeping the incubator closed. The incubator may recover the readings quickly but the environment that has been building for 2 - 3 days is compromised and does not recover.

Back
Top Bottom