Need advice following predator attack, cochin roo in sad shape.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by geckobass5, Aug 25, 2010.

1. geckobass5

geckobass5 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2010
    lee county
    It finally happened, Predator attack. I saw some feathers outside my dr window we went out and all the birds were gone. We eventually found all but one. One nice red sex link gal was lost. Poor thing.
    The problem is my (naughty) bantam cochin roo was found at the edge of the woods injured, he lost nearly all his beautiful beetle green pulumage from his coxyis. He also lost a good chunk of feathers from his neck. This is what probably saved him. he has a bit of a limp. He doesnt move too much, if you approach he stands up, if you try to kind of push the egg in his beak he backs away.
    He is traumatized, not eating. Ive offered water, cat food, scrambled and hard boiled eggs.
    Can you force feed a chicken.
    Ive sporayed the sore featherless areas with bactine and brought him in the house.
    Any advice, should i try a dropper and yougurt?

2. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    I would give him a quiet area to rest and recuperate in. Make sure he has access to water and is nice and warm. He can go a couple of days without eating. He is stressed and sore. If he doesn't eat in a couple of days, then I would start offering his favorites and go from there.

3. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Chickens are tough.
    My biggest Brahma boy was severely mauled by a fox whilst trying to protect his girls and I had to stitch a number of cuts. He had numerous bite marks and holes. I kept him indoors, offered him his favourite foods, talked to him a lot and cleaned his wounds daily with dilute iodine. He ate little for days. he is now normal and well.
    Cosset your boy and be patient....recovery takes time. Clean his wounds, antibiotics if the wound get infected etc. His appetite will return in time.

Good Luck,

Sandie

4. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

Quote:If I remember correctly, Bactine spray has a topical anesthetic (like benzocaine or lidocaine) in it. These pain relievers are not good for chickens -- they can be deadly. Don't use the Bactine spray again; try neosporin or a generic triple antibiotic ointment w/o a pain reliever in it. Keep offering goodies -- maybe try some cottage cheese or yogurt. Make sure to keep him warm enough and calm and give him a chance to recover from the shock. I am sorry for your loss, but glad you found your others. Time for run reinforcement. [​IMG]

5. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

6. geckobass5

geckobass5 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2010
    lee county
    Update,
    Biscuit, our Bantam Cochin roo has finally started to eat more than a nibble, he barely ate for 2 days. I was begining to think he might not make it. He was hiding in the corner of our spare room, I didnt want to take a chance with his wound getting infected so I deal with the poo as needed . Since he wasnt eating he wasnt pooping either.
    I have a house chicken , at least till he is in good shape. One of his wings seems messed up, he cant flap it, it droops a bit, and he has a slight limp. His tail thing looks like its covered in road rash. He decided to join us in the living room this afternoon , thats a good sign. He is shuffling around slowly. He clearly cant defend himself, so in the house he stays.

Thanks for the help.

7. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Sounds like he is getting good care. Glad he is doing better.

Imp

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by