Need advice for next year(Introducing new duck)

KikiDeAnime

Spooky
6 Years
Dec 29, 2017
Battle Ground, WA
My parents agreed to let me get another female next year for our drake since he only has 1 female. Before anyone says this, they only agreed on 1. Not 2, not 3, only 1. I will work on convincing them to let me get more but please understand that since I live with them, I must listen to what they say. So if they only say 1, that's all I getting. Otherwise, I won't be getting any.
We only have this agreement because I agreed to do more chores around the house than I already do.

I just need advice for introducing the new duck to Colonel & Duchess.
I'm also accepting suggestions for the breed. I want to stay within what we have: Khaki Campbell or Indian Runner. But I'm open to other breed suggestions!

Post your advice on introducing a new duck!

Well I am pretty partial to Runners so I vote for a new Runner female. Are you getting a duckling that will need to be brooded inside if so then you just take the duckling out on nice warm days and let them all see each other until your duckling is old enough to be outside then you set her up in her own space so Colonel doesn’t mate with her until she is old enough. But they can all still see each other. Gives you a lot of time to get them use to each other.

Well I am pretty partial to Runners so I vote for a new Runner female. Are you getting a duckling that will need to be brooded inside if so then you just take the duckling out on nice warm days and let them all see each other until your duckling is old enough to be outside then you set her up in her own space so Colonel doesn’t mate with her until she is old enough. But they can all still see each other. Gives you a lot of time to get them use to each other.
Not a duckling. I will be looking for a young female that is close to laying.

Then you’ll still need to introduce with see no touch for a while let them get to know each other after about a week you can try letting them forage together. It can take a bit of time but they’ll be a flock.

Then you’ll still need to introduce with see no touch for a while let them get to know each other after about a week you can try letting them forage together. It can take a bit of time but they’ll be a flock.
So the same as with chickens? That makes sense.
Just thought I'd post to see if anything special needed to be done for ducks.

Reason I won't be getting a duckling, is I don't really want to wait to introduce them. I don't think he will but I'm afraid that Colonel will be very demanding with Duchess for mating and I don't him to hurt her. That's why I'm getting a second female for him.

I wanted to get a female now but I nearly made my parents decide to not allow me to get one. That's why I have to wait until next year.

My advice is to make, Rent, buy or borrow an incubator and hatch your own while your on summer vacation

That way you have the time needed for a single duckling and the bond is sooo strong its a beautifull thing

The downside being it could end up being a male and youd have to rehome it but ide take the chance!

Otherwise wait for the right one who needs a home regardless the breed! (I love kahki campbells by the way!)

Back
Top Bottom