Need advice - fowl pox - one baby seems to have given up!

Lorus6

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 22, 2013
East Texas
I have fowl pox in my flock. Three of my 2 month old babies have it, but one has been really bad. He lost a lot of weight and we began feeding him with an eye dropper yesterday. His weight is holding steady for the last 24 hours, and yesterday afternoon he really perked up. This morning he is just listless. The last couple of days he perked up when I cleared his eyes, but this morning he just doesn't want to open his eyes, even though they are so much cleaner and less swollen. I have put him in a cage in my garage so I can keep a close eye on him, but I kept his sisters with him so he wouldn't feel lonely. Both his sisters are feeling much, much better, but he just doesn't seem to be pulling through.
Advice?

Have you checked inside his beak and throat for any yellow patches of tissue that could be wet pox? Does he have any trouble breathing? It sounds as though you may need to tube feed him into his crop to get some nutrition into him, since that is what can kill in pox. If you could get some aquarium tubing and burn on end to round off the sharp edges, you can use it with a large syringe from the feed store to crop feed him. I don't know if he is large enough for that tubing size, but you can try it, or get a proper crop tube from a vet. KayTee baby bird feed is what some use for feeding. Here is a good link on crop feeding if you need it: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/805728/go-team-tube-feeding

He has a small patch of yellow in his mouth. I read the tube feeding link - thank you.

I could kick myself! I have used a dropper and put water with electrolytes and vitamins in his mouth on the wrong side! He let it dribble out this morning. He isn't having any trouble breathing, so hopefully I haven't put any of this down his trachea...

We did successfully tube feed him a few minutes ago, but I have no idea how much food to give him. His weight is currently 5.6 ounces. Before he was sick he was up to 7 ounces. (We've been tracking length and weight for a science project)
I just gave him a very small amount, and though we would give him some more in another hour.

He has a small patch of yellow in his mouth. I read the tube feeding link - thank you. 

I could kick myself! I have used a dropper and put water with electrolytes and vitamins in his mouth on the wrong side! He let it dribble out this morning. He isn't having any trouble breathing, so hopefully I haven't put any of this down his trachea...

We did successfully tube feed him a few minutes ago, but I have no idea how much food to give him. His weight is currently 5.6 ounces. Before he was sick he was up to 7 ounces. (We've been tracking length and weight for a science project)
I just gave him a very small amount, and though we would give him some more in another hour.
. I haven't crop fed my chickens before, but the fluid requirements are 30 ml per Kg per every 6-8 hours. Or 15 ml per lb every 6-8 hours., so at his present weight rouglhly 5 to 6 ml every 6-8 hours. Does that sound about right?

Back
Top Bottom