1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need advice. I have a sick 4 month old Rhode Island Red!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by my5spuds, Dec 3, 2010.

1. my5spuds

my5spuds Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2010
    Just went out to feed my girls and 1 was lying on the ground. She is very alert making clucking sounds like she normally does when I pick her up but she is unable to sit up or stand. They were all fine when I let them run yesterday. They are completely enclosed and we have an outside dog that keeps away other animals. The dog loves the chickens and never bothers them and is unable to get near them when they are put away at night so I know dog attack isn't to blame. I brought her inside to see if some food, water and warmth might help. Does anyone know what may have made her so sick so fast? They are let out into the yard everyday and the others are fine today. What can I do for her? Thanks!

2. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Keep doing what you're doing for now, as long as she's eating and drinking on her own. Watch her closely to see if she develops any other symptoms...there are a myriad of diseases/causes for lameness...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by