Need advice in red tailed hawk

llshine

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 10, 2014
Grundy, Virginia
i have the majority of my chickens locked up. But I have a few old hen that aren't laying anymore out free ranging. A hawk got one of them this morning. If I put the rest of the hens up, will the hawk eventually go someplace else and not come back? Than I could turn my old hens back loose again?

It's worth a shot. I have a hawk problem from time to time but not always. I free range all mine (well almost all of them) all day, every day. I lose the smallest one every third day or so for about two weeks in the spring, then may only lose one or two more the rest of the year. I have not shot any hawks, nor shot at any, and I don't string fishing line or hang CDs. I think they are just feeding young and take what they need. I have a lot of birds, so I don't sweat losing a few a year. I understand, though, when one bird represents 20% of your flock.

Last edited:
With hawks, they will eventually move on if they are continually unsuccessful because you've taken the time to protect them. However, if the hawk has occasional success, such as 1 out of every 5 attempts, they will continue to depredate on your flock until something forces them out of the area like other hawks, migration, or lack of success.

Last edited:
I would say that the success rate depends on the hawk. I know some extremely capable hawks and they were less than 1 year old at the time. However, hawks can get discouraged too, so lack of success makes them more likely to move onto something else.

i have the majority of my chickens locked up. But I have a few old hen that aren't laying anymore out free ranging. A hawk got one of them this morning. If I put the rest of the hens up, will the hawk eventually go someplace else and not come back? Than I could turn my old hens back loose again?
Most of the hawk species are migratory (I think there are a couple that aren't).

The hawk will probably be gone in a couple of weeks - but may be back next year.

Back
Top Bottom