Need advice in red tailed hawk

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by llshine, Sep 15, 2014.

1. llshine

llshine Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2014
    Grundy, Virginia
    i have the majority of my chickens locked up. But I have a few old hen that aren't laying anymore out free ranging. A hawk got one of them this morning. If I put the rest of the hens up, will the hawk eventually go someplace else and not come back? Than I could turn my old hens back loose again?

2. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

It's worth a shot. I have a hawk problem from time to time but not always. I free range all mine (well almost all of them) all day, every day. I lose the smallest one every third day or so for about two weeks in the spring, then may only lose one or two more the rest of the year. I have not shot any hawks, nor shot at any, and I don't string fishing line or hang CDs. I think they are just feeding young and take what they need. I have a lot of birds, so I don't sweat losing a few a year. I understand, though, when one bird represents 20% of your flock.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2014
  3. Pyro01

Pyro01 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2014
    Menomonie, WI
    With hawks, they will eventually move on if they are continually unsuccessful because you've taken the time to protect them. However, if the hawk has occasional success, such as 1 out of every 5 attempts, they will continue to depredate on your flock until something forces them out of the area like other hawks, migration, or lack of success.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2014
  4. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Keep your birds in a covered run for a week or two; generally the hawk will move elsewhere if there's no chicken dinner available. Mary

5. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    A success rate of one kill for every 5 attacks is about the success rate that hawks have when hunting wild prey.

6. Pyro01

Pyro01 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2014
    Menomonie, WI
    I would say that the success rate depends on the hawk. I know some extremely capable hawks and they were less than 1 year old at the time. However, hawks can get discouraged too, so lack of success makes them more likely to move onto something else.

7. CrazyTalk

CrazyTalk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2014
    Most of the hawk species are migratory (I think there are a couple that aren't).

The hawk will probably be gone in a couple of weeks - but may be back next year.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by