Need advice, male quail pecked off my other quail skin on head.

shay20

Shay's Flock of Fun
11 Years
Jul 31, 2008
in the wild, Mass
Hello, Ok these are my quails, i hatched them myself.

I ended up with 2 males so far that i know of.
So i had 4 together in one pen. I came home the other day, i did not see or i did not think anything was wrong, one was sleeping in the corner or i thought.

The next morning we went to feed them and saw one was hurt.

It was the other male. His head was torn up, but so dried. He is alive.
When i went to pat some warm water on him i can see the vein in his head moving. He cant close one of his eyes. It looks like the skin was ripped down his head and dried up crumpled. I am not sure if i should put anything on it because of the vein being exposed.

He seems to be ok now.

But we thought it was the baby pheasant that we had in with them, So we moved him.
But then we noticed the other male quail was attacking another on the head. So we took him out, he is by himself now.

Could this be because maybe the last one is a female?

well if you have only four birds you dont need two roos in one pen or it could be there are 3 roos with is worse yet if you cant tell what they are post some pics and somebody i am shure will know. also how big is the pen overcrowding may be the issue.....

It is crazy, I took that one out, but now he is by himself i dont have a girl for him, so now i will wait and see if my other 2 will be ok. If so i will sell him.

Should i put some thing on the one that is showing the vein on the head. becouse i still cant get the hard blood off, when i wet it with luke warm water he trys to jump and then i can see the vein, it scares me that i am hurting him.

I cant put him down, i dont do that, I will always try to do what i can.

He seems aware and eats. will a new skin form over his head?

Quote:
Yea it is very small, my hubby is gonna make a bigger one, just have not yet. I posted pics before, i think some one did say i had 2 boys but the other 2 where to young to tell. this was 2 weeks ago.

Just let him heal on his own hun
smile.png
they heal wonderfully fast. Ive had numerous scalping issues from over anormous roos. It just goes with the territory. Some roos are just more over zelous than others and breed breed breed and pull at the back of the head until it's torn completley off the skull
sickbyc.gif

I have a bachelor pad pen... nothing but roos they get along wonderfully they all mate eachother though
gig.gif
but they all have learned to just submit instead of fight. the scalping occurs when the one being mounted tries to wriggle away from the mating roo. This is why young hens are normally the ones that get injured. But no diferent if theres too many roos or no hens, then the roos will mate eachother... and some dont play nice lol.

someone joked before about prision issues... i'd say so

Quote:
LOL, WOW That is too funny.

OK yea i think the second one that got hurt is a female.
Ok so i will just leave the bad hurt one alone. I feel so bad for it.
Thank you so much.

Quote:
LOL, WOW That is too funny.

OK yea i think the second one that got hurt is a female.
Ok so i will just leave the bad hurt one alone. I feel so bad for it.
Thank you so much.

yeah the injured one will look miserable for a few days but dont wrory as long as flies arent an issue (getting to the wound) the bird will heal so fast! I have thought about it before when I do get scalpings to take pictures of the healing process but the birds looked soo greusome i didnt owant someone saying it was cruel of me to keep them alive...however it's NOT cruel they heal within 1 weeks time thy are already looking 88 percent better! and by two weeks most of the skin has grown back and soon there after the feathers come back in.

The injured one probably wont eat for the first day of injury and the next day only very litty so you may want to dunk his beak in his water delicately for the first few days to force some water down it. That's what i had to do with two hens there were blind from the issue, their eyes swelled shut i thought they were perminantly blind but luckily the eyes came back once the swelling went down
smile.png

Your awsome, i am glad i am not the only one that thinks we can save the injured.
In fact i did not see him drink i will go right now and get him to swallow water.

Thank you so much.

Quote:
lol you're welcome
smile.png
I am amazed everytime it happens (it's happend about 4 times now and more than likely will again as you can't always knwo how a new roo is going to be etc even hens can be nasty) how fast they heal. And as long as no perminant eye damage is done once the feathers come in you cant tell anything ever went wrong! LOL!

Back
Top Bottom