Need advice on adopted goat

stilwellchick

Songster
12 Years
Jun 16, 2007
Stilwell, KS
So I adopted a hard luck case Pygmy doe about 4 years old. She is a bit thin and her coat is very dry and rough. She looks like a junk yard dog compared to my others that have thick, silky, luxurious coats. Any ideas what to give her to get her in good condition. Mine eat Purina goat chow, pasture and free choice alfalfa hay. I gave her a Selenium shot and a Covexin 8 booster and wormed her with Safeguard. Thanks for any ideas.

I'm not a goat expert, but sounds like you have it all under control - given the good food you have on hand she'll be nice and chubby in no time.

Just make sure she can get to the food and the other goats don't try keep her away - perhaps feed her alone if she is in fact housed with the others.

This girl was the same deal for us:

http://www.helmsteadstables.com/Paula.htm

We did like you - got her UTD on everything, B complex and just put her on the same feed program the other goats here are on. She gained fast - despite being pregnant. When we got her, she MAYBE weighed 30 lbs. Now she's so hefty I can't lift her onto my stanchion. We've had her a little over a year.

My breeder friend said that if a goat has a ratty or rough, dull coat it is often due to a lack of copper in their diet. Thus, you want to make sure that she's getting enough copper to help her coat.

Are you offering free choice loose minerals?

Sounds like she's really fortunate to have ended up with you!
big_smile.png

Yes, they have Purina minerals which has the highest copper on the market free choice. She doesn't seem to like the goat chow. I have tried feeding her seperately too. Maybe she is still in relocation shock and will eat more later. She is still doing a lot of hollering! Thanks eveyone for your replies.

I first off would do as you already did and then also a copper bolus as she ounds like she is low on copper. I get the Copasure copper boluses from Jeffers and get the empty capsules and measure out 1gram per 22lbs of goat and give with a bolus gun. If the goats is looking red and is supposed to be black or has res highlites this will return her to black. I do my goats about every 6 mths. sure made a difference in mine and talk about color change...its amazing...

I gave her a B-12 shot as this is supposed to increase appetite. She does not seem to like goat chow very well. I have tried two different brands. I have tried feeding her seperately so no competition. Maybe it is because she has only been here for a few days and she may be in heat according to one of my wethers. I don't see any signs of heat but all does are different. Any ideas on something to boost appetite? She does not take any treats either. She does act normal and has normal poo.

With my rescue boers, I had free access hay, 10% sweet feed, beet pulp, BOSS, and graham crackers with a little Peanut Butter as a treat. I buy the goat protein bucket at TSC because I know they eat it and it has just the right amount of copper. They also of course had forage, but this was three months ago. Now they are quite happy and thick, with soft fuzzy fur.

Of course, Queen Rosie didn't like them only getting the treats, so she did too! Not that fatty needed them, but...

After about a month I wormed them. My vet and I agreed that worming them immediately, when they were so weak anyway, would probably too much of a shock. Get some meat on their bones, then worm them. Any chance she is pregnant? If so, don't use Valbazen unless you don't want the baby. Valbazen causes abortion in pregger does, especially early stage.

Oh, and lots of love!

Last edited:
Awww, poor little darling. She's probably just not used to having the goat ration and a little nervous too. Just keep offering it to her, along with the treats and she will come around as she settles in.

God Bless you for adopting her!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom