Need Advice on Broody Hen Sitting on Eggs

I have been reading this thread because I have a hen that sometimes wants to be broody but after 2 weeks, she gets up and changes her mind. I have no idea what to do when my hen starts setting because this is a first for us. None of my hens have ever decided to be a mom. I think it sounds eggsiting however, if one died, I would be crushed.

I have found that other hens seem jealous of new moms, and sometimes when trying to release momma back into the group she will be attacked by other hens. That's why I keep them confined for two weeks. The chicks get strong enough to get out of the way and the other hens get used to seeing them. Hopefully you won't have no mama drama when you try letting them out. If you do, just keep trying, eventually it all works out.

I have found that the sound of broodies and chicks can encourage others to go broody. So in my large breed flock I always break them right away.

I have been reading this thread because I have a hen that sometimes wants to be broody but after 2 weeks, she gets up and changes her mind. I have no idea what to do when my hen starts setting because this is a first for us. None of my hens have ever decided to be a mom. I think it sounds eggsiting however, if one died, I would be crushed.
Some breeds the broodiness has been mostly bred out of them and they don't go fully broody or they don't know what they are doing. I probably wouldn't trust her with eggs without a back up incubator.

Sorry I have no idea Chickadee55, I'm sure someone will pop in and help ya out though.

Thanku OHLD,, I will keep my eye out for the others. My showgirl that is on the eggs is the sweetest hen I have, she lets me hold her anytime I want, she loves to be hand fed worms, crickets,, lol. When I work in my yard and dig up a rock or move something, she is always hanging out with me so she can get to the "new" dirt for bugs, she is so funny. But she is below all the larger birds but above the seabrights on the pecking order, I will definatley have to watch out when I do get to letting her back with the hens.

One year I had a gang of six, d'uccle and frizzle cochin bantams that followed me everywhere when I gardened, they would see me coming with my bucket and run, and flap across the yard. They ended up hanging out in one flower bed for the summer while they grew up. It was hysterical to have so many little helpers, so I know exactly what you mean. Love my chickens.
1f601.png

My silkie sits on the eggs for a couple of weeks and then gets off. So tired of this. What to do?

My silkie sits on the eggs for a couple of weeks and then gets off.  So tired of this.  What to do?
Have you checked her for mites, often they breed out of control on a setting broody. That would be my first thought, check the face, vent and under the wings for creepy crawlers. I will dust my hens during there setting period. I have had chicks hatch than also get full of muted from the mom and nest.

My hen was also roosting about 3 feet off the ground. The roosting shelf is a long cube (doesn't that make it a rectangular prism? I can't remember, school was a LONG time ago!) with just one vertical wall missing for her to get in/out, etc. Anyway, I put food and water near her, and used hand-clamps to hold some screen (about 2 feet wide) in front of her so the chicks wouldn't fall off the edge. The chicks will pretty much stay right up under her for the first 24 hours, so I figured they wouldn't wander past the screen and fall before I could discover they had hatched. Well, that silly hen moved those babies to the other end of the nesting box where there was no screen. Ha!! They didn't fall thank goodness! It was then that I moved her and her babies onto the ground inside the coop, but protected by a portable "play-pen" I made out of pvc and chicken wire. Anywaaaaaay, all of that to say: don't move unhatched eggs; move her and chicks after they hatch, and they'll be fine, but if you have a way to make a temporary wall until then, do so.
D.gif
wee.gif

Nosey little ladies you got there, i would say. They will generally go broody in their favorite nest as they don't know pretty girl is in the maternity ward.

Back
Top Bottom