Need ADVICE on Bumblefoot!

We just did some bumblefoot surgery earlier today on one of our hens. We soaked her foot in Epsom salt for about 15 minutes then was able to massage the “plug” off with our fingers. There was a nice little clean hole under it. We soaked her again for another 10 minutes then put disinfectant and (regular) Neospirin. Bandaged it and put her in the coop for the night. Will check in the morning.
Yup, Wyorp Rock had been helping the OP with their problem as they have 4 Hens with bumble foot. Yikes!!

This is my chicken with the most swelling.
Doesn't look too bad.
I would be inclined to take the non-surgical approach first to see if the scab will come off easily after a couple of days of treatment.
I rarely cut a bird's foot unless it's necessary.

Doesn't look too bad.
I would be inclined to take the non-surgical approach first to see if the scab will come off easily after a couple of days of treatment.
I rarely cut a bird's foot unless it's necessary.
With one of our chickens we didn't know what to do, so we tried making a very small incision after we got the scab off on one of her feet.We were all stressed and only got a little puss out. We are hoping her foot heals nicely, we have been changing the bandages on her feet regularly. I think it would be best if we did the nonsurgical approach instead because it didn't work to well for us to try and open it up with a razor blade.

Back
Top Bottom