Need advice on bumblefoot

Ericzahel

Chirping
Nov 21, 2022
Both my girls got a mild bumblefoot going on again ..last time I treated and healed a bumblefoot on my one girl using Epson salt soaks, vetericyn plus ,banixx and black salve and non pain relief neosporan and wrapping her foot ... but I'm curious if anyone one has ever healed a bumblefoot using collid silver or silver sulfadiazine cream ? I was researching and see alot of vets will prescribe silvadine? I know it takes anywhere from 3-6 weeks to heal up and u gotta be very consistent ..I have to order it but in the mean time will buying a silver cream from CVS work too ? Idk I always get so worried when it comes to my 2 ducks 😕

Have you removed the bumble core yet?

My thoughts, too. From what I see on YouTube, you need to lance the infection and remove the bumble core, and then treat the wound.

Any idea what is causing the bumble foot in your ducks? Usually, a good idea to prevent a condition then to have to repeatedly treat it after an infection.

Any idea what is causing the bumble foot in your ducks? Usually, a good idea to prevent a condition then to have to repeatedly treat it after an infection.
Seems like the two times I had it was when I used the coarse wood chips from TSC rather than the Clausen ones.
Fertilizing the lawn seemed to help it go away.

Seems like the two times I had it was when I used the coarse wood chips from TSC rather than the Clausen ones.
Fertilizing the lawn seemed to help it go away.

It has been many years since I had ducks, but at that time I had them on straw in the duck house and grass out in the run. I never had to deal with bumble foot, but I also let my Mallard ducks fly away in the fall and the Rouen ducks were harvested, so they were still very young.

Have you removed the bumble core yet?
I couldn't say about the silver.
No we usually remove a little bit if the scab to make sure that the medicine gets in it ,but the one duck hers just started and her little spot is pink not even a black scab yet and it super tiny like the size of the holes in sneakers were the laces go through ,we can see yellow under it and the area around it is soft and squishy n swollen but she bot limping or holding her foot up or anything .... we soak them so their foot gets softer peel back a little of the scab so the medicine gets in but they always bleed a little bit ,I've seen videos were people pull the scab off and the core is attached to it n I've seen people cut a little slice in it and pull it with tweezers ?? Idk last time one had it we did soaks ,and drawing salve and no pain relief neosporan n keep it wrapped and about 2 weeks later the scab was kinda loose so ny hubby pulled it off and the core was attached to the scab so we rinsed it out with some vetericyn n packed with Neosporin kept it wrapped and it's healed up really nice ,now 2 months later she git it again ,same foot different spot ,we found were the coulda cut their feet on and fixed it ..I also heard it was better to soak it with diluted bentadine then Epsom salt too ?

No we usually remove a little bit if the scab to make sure that the medicine gets in it ,but the one duck hers just started and her little spot is pink not even a black scab yet and it super tiny like the size of the holes in sneakers were the laces go through ,we can see yellow under it and the area around it is soft and squishy n swollen but she bot limping or holding her foot up or anything .... we soak them so their foot gets softer peel back a little of the scab so the medicine gets in but they always bleed a little bit ,I've seen videos were people pull the scab off and the core is attached to it n I've seen people cut a little slice in it and pull it with tweezers ?? Idk last time one had it we did soaks ,and drawing salve and no pain relief neosporan n keep it wrapped and about 2 weeks later the scab was kinda loose so ny hubby pulled it off and the core was attached to the scab so we rinsed it out with some vetericyn n packed with Neosporin kept it wrapped and it's healed up really nice ,now 2 months later she git it again ,same foot different spot ,we found were the coulda cut their feet on and fixed it ..I also heard it was better to soak it with diluted bentadine then Epsom salt too ?
It sounds like you're handling it fine. I'm not sure why it's still bothering her

My thoughts, too. From what I see on YouTube, you need to lance the infection and remove the bumble core, and then treat the wound.

I'm pretty sure they got the cut on their waterer, and we fixed it so it's smooth for them now

Back
Top Bottom