Need advice on buying chicks.

To me, organic is a lifestyle more than a rigid set of rules, but the organic rigid rules state that as long as the chicks don’t eat anything other than organic feed, they are considered organic. It does not matter what their parents ate. If the chicks ever eat anything that is not organic, they can never be organic.

If you get day-olds from a hatchery they won’t eat anything until you feed it to them. The hatcheries don’t feed them. Or find someone local that does the hatching themselves and make an arrangement to pick up the chicks before they are fed, straight out of the incubator. Your problem is solved. Feed stores feed them immediately to help them get over shipping stress. They are highly likely to not be organic.

Of course if a young chick eats a bite of something that is not organic then is fed nothing but organic the rest of its life, with the turnover of cells the effects of that “non-organic” are going to be microscopic and probably nothing but a figment of someone’s imagination, but the organic rules are trying to close loopholes that some people would exploit.

It’s your choice, lifestyle or a rigid set of rules. Switching from one to the other will not kill them.

Thank you! I agree. I was told I could not switch them to organic feed and thought maybe...they were getting medicated feed and might die if I didn't keep it up. So now that I know I can order my chicks and start them on organic, non gmo feed, all is great! Yeah! It isn't like I am getting usda certified. I am only raising them for my family. Thank you again!

I got my chicks a week ago at the local feed store and a "chain" feed store. I'm sure they were feed medicated starter. I switched them to Texas Naturals, a non GMO, non Soy, non Medicated feed. They have done great. Growing like weeds.

Back
Top Bottom