Need advice on choosing a heavy layer breed

melodylee

Songster
10 Years
Apr 14, 2009
Arkansas
I re-homed my drakes, all but one a mallard I raised from a lil' baby... I got attached
lol.png
and I have 5 hens (so 6 ducks all together...I call them hens to make things easier)
anyway, I want a kind of duck I don't already have...and not your basic white duck...and no runners (i'm picky
tongue.png
)
here is what I have already:

muscovy
swedish
crested (patterned like a swedish but a tan color?) never figured out what breed
and
2 anconas
2 welsh harlequin ducklings
and of course the mallard drake

You might check out Metzer's Golden 300s, too. All of the ducks are shades of brown, but each looks a little different since they're a hybrid. Fun!

Edited to add: also check out the Golden Cascades at Sandhill Preservation! VERY pretty birds, also formerly from Metzer.

Last edited:
I have campbells, sweedish, and caygua that lay every day and have larger eggs. My runner only lays every other day and the eggs are much smaller.

I'm in love with my two Cayuga ducklings. What little I've read about them seems to say they're good layers. However, the Khaki Campbell duck is reputedly the BEST laying duck of all. (So sayeth the University of California at Davis.)

Back
Top Bottom