Need advice on combining my flock

nutmeg259

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 13, 2014
Last month, my original flock of 5 suffered an attack which left me with 2 hens, for clarification we refer to these gals as 'the originals'. I quickly purchased two new hens (an EE & Barred Rock) and they have been quarantined in a separate coop for the past two weeks. The coops are quite close together and the four birds have been able to see each other each day. I've apparently been bite by the chicken bug, because today I brought home two 14 week old black giant pullets. After picking them up I realized that these pullets needed grower feed, and it would be impossible to keep the new pullets with the EE & BR feed them all appropriately. So I dusted all 6 birds and made the decision to house the four laying hens together, and keep the pullets in my other coop. I allowed the EE & BR to free range with the originals this afternoon and there was some pecking but overall it went ok. This evening the originals went right into their coop to roost but the EE and BR refused! Should I force them in with the originals or allow them to room with the pullets and eat grower grain?

On a different note, the pullets were being raised in a horse stall with 20+ other pullets. I don't think they even know how to roost. I'm also pretty sure they didn't have anything to eat or drink all day. Is this normal behavior?

it will be ok you should just force them in and if there is a fight there will be a fight don't worry about it too much

Back
Top Bottom