Need Advice on Day Old Chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by southernpriss, Mar 8, 2012.

1. southernpriss

southernpriss Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2011
    Hey Yall I need some advice my broody Silkie just hatched her first egg and she is sitting on one more. I have her separated from the rest of the flock which consists of a RIR another silkie and 10 buff orphs.. but I also have seven one week old chicks in the brooder that I bought last week I have raised all my chicks from babies but I have never had a hen hatch one what would be best for me to leave the chick with the hen or to take it from her and place it with the other babies? I am scared of leaving it with her and the other chicks get curious and kill it my buff orphs are 10 pounders but then again I don't want to depress my hen by taking it away. can anyone give me some advice on what is the best possible thing to do in my situation? thank you so much!

2. Hazelrah

Hazelrah Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2012
    Oregon
    Hi, I had my first hen-hatched baby 10 days ago and I chose to move the hen (Lisa), her chick and her eggs to a brooder box. Only got the one chick, the other eggs turned out to have been infertile. It has worked out well for me so far, and it is amazing to watch Lisa teaching and protecting her chick. The only downside I've found so far is I will need to reintroduce Lisa and her chick to the main flock at some point and I haven't figured out when or how to do that.

I should mention DH built the brooder box in about an hour out of an old dresser and a window screen. Not fancy but it works.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
  3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    You said you separated your hen from the others, so how would they get to the babies under the hen? Let her raise the babies, she'll protect them - but I would keep them separate for at least a week so the babies can get steady on their feet, learn where food/water is and bond with mama.

Nothing sweeter than a broody with chicks.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
  4. southernpriss

Sep 6, 2011
    Hey! I have 2 chicken houses one really small one and one reply big one Luvy (the hen) and the baby are in the small house and I have it blocked off and taken the ramp down but it is still in the chicken yard and I don't want to trap her in there she is tiny but pretty fiesty do you think it would be ok to open the house back up the buffs are to big to get through the doorway I was just scared about the baby with the ramp. Should I just let them be or move them out of the yard that all the big chicks are in

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Leave her locked up in the coop with them for at least a week. Then let them share the yard. She should protect the babies, but I like to watch closely just to be sure.

6. southernpriss

Sep 6, 2011
    Ok thank you so much for your help so you think leaving them be is better than placing the baby with the others in the brooder?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by