Need advice on fertile eggs please!

Joe n Jess

Chirping
Mar 19, 2017
Hi everybody, one of my girls is on the brooding stage. So because I have a rooster in my flock I started to sneak different eggs under this girl hoping I will have some new babies. After a week laying down she started getting harassed by the other girls and I end up finding her on another nest. The question is, can the eggs be left alone after a day or so and the chicken get back and they will still be okay? Or would the babies die if they are not under constant temperatures?

They will often die when they get chilled for too long. It can depend on how far along they are. If they are closer to hatching they may survive.

It's best to separate out a setting hen to avoid what you are seeing. You can candle the eggs and see if you can see if they are still moving.

Did you set all the eggs on the same day?

if it was early they usually don't tolerate it, later or after she gets off with chicks that hatch you should candle any eggs left in the nest, I had 2 that were still viable but didn't check and removed the eggs on second day after she got off to toss, 1 made it and 1 didn't, if you get a strong flash light you could candle an egg close to dark and see if their is development after day 5 of sitting. I would recommend you have long sleeves and cloves as broody hen may not like you messing with her eggs.

They will often die when they get chilled for too long. It can depend on how far along they are. If they are closer to hatching they may survive.

It's best to separate out a setting hen to avoid what you are seeing. You can candle the eggs and see if you can see if they are still moving.

Did you set all the eggs on the same day?

Hi, thank you for the reply. No, i set them up about one and two day apart. And yes I checked the eggs against a light bulb and saw a small tiny fetus on three of them

Hi, thank you for the reply. No, i set them up about one and two day apart. And yes I checked the eggs against a light bulb and saw a small tiny fetus on three of them
Check them again in another week, and hopefully they are still good. Not much you can do about it now, but wait and hope.

C0E9A32E-7291-4F0C-B3E9-ECB390859A01.png
Thank you for all your replies! Today is an amazing day for my family and our chicks fam! We got our first baby chick!!

Back
Top Bottom