Need Advice on fighting emus and can emus be kept alone?

Avipt

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 18, 2014
Sweden
So i have 3 emus two of them that has been raised together and one that we hatched this year. Early this year the two oldest started fighting eachother and is has only escalated from there, to pretty aggresive fights that could result in death, they are now almost 2 years old. It just started out of the blue and we have tried kept them seperated and done everything diffrent pen and such but they just want eachother dead.

The third one has been raised together with duckling since its sibbling died at birth. All was fine and well till now when we have tried introducing him to the others and see if there is a match, but both of the adults are picking on the little one.

So we figured we have to get rid of two of them atleast cause we dont have space for 3 big enclousers.

Now my big question, we have a favourite, now can it be kept as a loner or will it get sad. It has "Friends" among the ducks and chickens (and a bunny) is that enough? Ive read that in the wild Emus keeps to themselfs unless looking for water or something like that.

So i have 3 emus two of them that has been raised together and one that we hatched this year. Early this year the two oldest started fighting eachother and is has only escalated from there, to pretty aggresive fights that could result in death, they are now almost 2 years old. It just started out of the blue and we have tried kept them seperated and done everything diffrent pen and such but they just want eachother dead.

The third one has been raised together with duckling since its sibbling died at birth. All was fine and well till now when we have tried introducing him to the others and see if there is a match, but both of the adults are picking on the little one.

So we figured we have to get rid of two of them atleast cause we dont have space for 3 big enclousers.

Now my big question, we have a favourite, now can it be kept as a loner or will it get sad. It has "Friends" among the ducks and chickens (and a bunny) is that enough? Ive read that in the wild Emus keeps to themselfs unless looking for water or something like that.
I have two boys who are four years old and two girls who are two years old. We didn't have any problems until the girls turned two last year. I have found that the girls fight more than the boys do. I had to separate mine into two pens. It took a little bit of trial and error until I got the right combinations and now they are fine. The girls still peck at each other over the fence but nothing serious. However, if we have to put them together for any reason, all hell breaks loose. You can keep a lone emu. I have seen it done, but like most animals they seem to prefer other emus. At least mine do.

Have you tried putting the smaller one with just one of the older ones? Maybe you could figure out who the aggressor is and go from there. Good luck and let us know what happens.

Yes actually we have the bigger of the two oldest alone (our favourite) and the other two together, we think this was the best combination. now comes the problem with keeping groups seperate. We think our two oldest are females, they are drumming pretty much all the time and loud.

Atleast the fighting is gone now, but now comes the problem with space and the fact that one of them is alone. However they do seem to go well with the ducks and such they dont seem to mind race. As long as their is company.

"Ive read that in the wild Emus keeps to themselfs unless looking for water or something like that."

In brief: no, they are quite social (just less social than some bird species that are always in flocks)

SE

Back
Top Bottom