Need advice on getting a buddy

Kissmygrits

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 5, 2013
Wake Forest, NC
I have a 3 month old (I think) Self-Blue Cochin Roo that was the runt of the bunch of 4. He was beat up pretty bad, which messed up his sight (he's almost blind). I found a home for his brothers and he has been an only child for a little over a week. I have 4 other chickens (2 hens & 2 pullets) but they don't want anything to do with him. Because of his limited sight, I take him outside to get playtime, sun, dirt, glass and to atleast be around the other chickens (if they stay still or if he can find them) but he normally stays inside. I need to know if it would be best for him to have a buddy? And if so, would he do better with a female or male buddy and what age? He is so sweet and it breaks my heart thinking he is lonely.

Female buddy, about 2-4 months old, a little silkie bantam or polish/polish bantam that won't have good sight either so they don't think to pick at him. Keep the pair together in an enclosed area and introduce them at night and offer lots of treats. That is what I would do.

Thank you Whittni. Are the Silkies & Polishes sweet breeds? Someone told me to stay away from Wyandottes because they can be mean to others. Thanks again.

My Polish are sweethearts! Keep in mind, however, that chickens are individuals and every breed has its exceptions. I cannot guarantee that any bird of any variety wouldn't pick on him but all of my Polish are pretty laid back.

Thank you Blriehl & bugglesmommy on the advice. Are there bantam Polishes? I have a lady that has offered me a 2 mth old silkie/cochin bantam that she thinks might be a girl. Should I pass and look for a Polish (bantam)?

There are bantam polish. I have mostly bantam. Here is a bantam frizzle polish pullet of mine (for example not for sale)

It depends on want you want. The Cochin/silkie may have a good temperament. Those are generally sweet breeds.

I'm worried that if the silkie/cochin winds up being a boy, will he start trying to fight him (Jack) when he gets older. I was told silkies are a little harder to sex than other chicks.

Thank you everyone for your advice and I thought I would introduce you to Jack's new buddy. She (
fl.gif
) is a Mottled D'uccle and she is 6 weeks old. She follow Jack around and he seems to not be able to lose her because she is loud. We have named her Ellie Mae. Thank you again. I will add a picture of jack tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom