**Need Advice on Golden Pheasants!!**

I'd Listen To Patrick And Tony, I Know I Always Do..... These Guys And 2 Or 3 Others On Here Have More Experience Handling And Keeping Pheasants Than All The Rest Of Byc Combined.

I Tried To Brood Simple Ringnecks With A Chicken Brooder Nanny, The Result Was A Catatrophic Coryza Outbreak Amoung My Pheasant Population, While The Brooder Nanny Was Fine (we Now Call Her Typhoid Mary) With Patricks Help I Was Able To Dx And Treat It And Did Manage To Save The Last 2 Of The Brood.

Both Of These Guys Arent Going To Steer You Wrong, As Both Will Also Happily Answer Any Pm's You May Send With Questions--- They Are A Credit To This Site.

Good Luck With Your Red Goldens, They Are Wonderful Birds--- Enjoy 'em!

Quote:
Sorry for asking a stupid question but,
Does that not mean that the nanny was a carrier or coryza?? Or that where ever the eggs came from that the parents we're carriers??

I guess I'm confused as someone else said that the chickens would give the pheasants diseases, but wouldn't the chickens have to have diseases in the first place?

I'm new in pheasants and I guess the way things are worded are making me think ya'll are saying that chickens with or without diseases will kill pheasants by giving them diseases.

I'm sorry if I gave bad info on saying I kept chickens with pheasants, since I have had pheasants, if I had a chickent that wasn't getting along with the others, out of space or something along those lines I always stuck them in with the pheasants. Like I said I haven't had pheasants but around a year.

All chickens are carriers of Coccidiosis and this disease and others chickens may be carrying can be fatal to pheasants. There are some sturdier pheasants that can handle living in the same area as chickens, like ringnecks.

Regardless of what we all say, you are going to do whatever you choose, you seem to mix them already.

As for me, I have spent to much money on my peafowl, Golden and Red Golden pheasants to mix them in with nasty messy chickens or ducks and ducks are worse than the chickens.

Do not take me wrong, I love my chickens dearly, but between them and the ducks, until I raised them, I had never seen such filth and they are a pain to clean up from.

Quote:
Yeah I did know that all chickens carry the coccidiosis, but are older pheasants able to contract it from chickens or just the younger ones?

Don't take me wrong, Im not tryin to disagree or anything I really am wanting to know the details on all this. I do have chickens in with mine at different times is why I ask. Just because I have them in there now dosen't mean I'm dead set on keeping them that way. I just wondered if I was lucky that I hadn't killed mine off yet.

There are multiple diseases that the chickens are "carriers" of,such as those mentioned and another noteable one called blackhead. Whether it comes from the birds themselves, or earthworms and stuff they love to eat.
That being said, I have been fortunate to not have many issues brooding them in the same house or housing them nearby. One of my display pens for some of my males was connected to my coop. This may come from keeping a clean coop which is a hard task, and also trying to keep water from pooling ever or earthworm prevention. Everynow and again a little Sevin helps too. ; )

It would be hard to evaluate the sounds of pheasant. They do have a high pitched squeel sound on occasion. SOme find it beautiful, I suppose others annoying. Nothing near like peafowl or some of the other noisier pheasants.

Thanks so much for the help!
big_smile.png
Maybe pheasants aren't right for us
tongue.png

One thing you have going for you is your climate. Much fewer problems there than say Florida or Georgia. If you are seriously interested I would suggest you get in touch with Viligranas aviary. His name is Saul and is a nice guy and won't steer you wrong. His link is on my website kikescove.com . I believe he raises multiple kinds of poultry and has great birds. He is located in NM. He might be able to assist you if you have further questions.

Back
Top Bottom