Need advice on how to get rid of otter...

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by PartridgeRckgal, Mar 4, 2011.

1. LovedbyHim

LovedbyHim In the Brooder

Mar 1, 2011
    Quote:Trap it and trade it for some fuzzy butts!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. PartridgeRckgal

PartridgeRckgal Songster

Feb 22, 2011
    Quote:Very good advice!! I really appreciate your help [​IMG]

3. LovedbyHim

LovedbyHim In the Brooder

Mar 1, 2011
  4. PartridgeRckgal

PartridgeRckgal Songster

Feb 22, 2011
    Quote:Trap it and trade it for some fuzzy butts!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Oh how I wish I could!! LOL

5. Amyable

Amyable Songster

Dec 16, 2008
    Greenleaf, WI
    Quote:We rehab celebrities and politicians. Now otters? Life use to be so simple!

[​IMG]
    I meant they might be able to come and get it.

6. panner123

panner123 Songster

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    In todays market a small otter's pelt goes for $175, up to an extra large $325. Are you sure you want to relocate it. If you take it to a taxidermist you should get more for it. At those prices you can replace some of the fish you lost. Where there is one, there are more.

7. greatergraceoffbg

greatergraceoffbg Songster

May 30, 2009
    Quote:This is just down right stupid, no use being nice about it, the animals, otter in this case were here first, if people were more intelligent and planned ahead and were more connected with nature as it is instead of investing time and dollars only to destroy a native animals habitat or want to get rid of the native animals to protect the peoples newly created artificial habitat then this would not be an issue, this really disgusts me! And then poisoning the otter with a fish. Normally I think the animal rights wacos are the nut jobs, but reading this thread I can see them using BYC down the road to document and justify their cause!

8. panner123

panner123 Songster

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    Quote:This is just down right stupid, no use being nice about it, the animals, otter in this case were here first, if people were more intelligent and planned ahead and were more connected with nature as it is instead of investing time and dollars only to destroy a native animals habitat or want to get rid of the native animals to protect the peoples newly created artificial habitat then this would not be an issue, this really disgusts me! And then poisoning the otter with a fish. Normally I think the animal rights wacos are the nut jobs, but reading this thread I can see them using BYC down the road to document and justify their cause!

Sorry you feel that way. I do agree with you about the poison, but I will clean kill any predator after my critters. I have gone to all the necessary precautions to protect them, only that always doesn't work. If you will go back over my posts, you will find that I treat the human predator with the same treatment as some wild predator. So I guess the animal rights wacos will leave me be.

9. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    Quote:Yes, yes! I agree with redhen, he just needs his own stock tank. [​IMG]

10. PartridgeRckgal

PartridgeRckgal Songster

Feb 22, 2011
    Wow, I had no idea my request for advice would spark such heated comments! Interesting how quickly and easily some people get angry.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: