Need advice on infection on dogs tail

sheila3935

Crowing
13 Years
Jul 10, 2010
Stonington, illinois
My dog Ren is an 80lb Lab mix. We have been battling fleas this summer as most everyone has. He has chewed a spot open on his tail that I have been treating with Sulfadine a hot spot medicine, but I think it may be infected. Right now I cant take him to the vet for at least a week due to money. I can get antibotics at the feed store where I work. I was wondering if anyone here knows what would be best to use? We have PenProG, Tylan 50 and 100, Duramycin, and LA2000. Or another treatment I can do for now? Today we put antibotic cream and vet wrap on his tail that he promptly removed. Told DH he wouldnt keep it on
lol.png
Can anyone help my poor boy? Should I have put this under emergencies? Sorry if I posted in the wrong place.

Last edited:
Take his temperature to see if he is even running a temp. Maybe you won't need antibiotics. Also benadryl works on dogs that are itchy from fleas.
smile.png

Yeah he gets a benny before bed so he can sleep. Guess I will try to get him temp. Wont be easy as he is almost as big as me.
big_smile.png
Is there anything I could put on his tail that would help heal it?

He NEEDS an E -collar so he cant chew his tail anymore...(most pet stores sell them)
Put the collar on him...spray blu-kote and put triple antibiotic ointment on his tail and wrap it with vet wrap..... (change dressing daily..or even twice a day.. and add new, clean meds/dressing..)
Watch it.... if it gets worse or starts to smell or puss...then he NEEDS to go in to the vet... ASAP....
Good luck!
*the collar is important, so he cant keep chewing the wound.....*

Last edited:
you can treat the wound with peroxide clean it well with warm water only then use a little eye dropper and drop some peroxide onto the wound and let it bubble for a few minutes (if a dog licks peroxide it will not harm them) keep the dog inside the house to help keep the wound cleaner. try to treat with peroxide every 3 hours with the eye dropper it will flush the wound as oppose to just rubbing peroxide on with a cloth or q-tip.

Best med. I've found for healing and protecting wounds on animals - Vetericyn. Expensive both worth it IMO. You just spray it on and forget it. Works on dogs, cats, horses, chickens and several other animals.

Just FYI , my 110 lb Giant Schanuer chewed one of his toes, one vet wanted to amputate, he went ahead and prescribed antibiotics in the meantime to get the infection down. Well, I also bought some vetricyn, between the pills and vetricyn, it is healing! So, if he needs the antibiotics, do that and vetricyn.

Has anyone used Fish Flex for their animals? It is cephlexin (sp). I have read that dogs can take that. Now if I can find it. I'll go tomorrow and get the vetricyn and a collar. They sell those at Petsmart. Or maybe I'll just go to the vet. After all the money I'll be spending on everything else will probably be cheaper to go to the vet.

Back
Top Bottom